Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pro's and con's of super over regular unleaded has been done to death so I dont want to start up this discussion, but does anyone use 95 RON and add an octane booster?
If so which one do you feel delivers the best results?
The only ones I have seen are at Halfords such as STP octane boost etc.
The only ingredient is Kerosene - would this be right?
Your views and where to purchase product would be of great interest to me.
Cheers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Total waste o money IMHO!
Been there, tried that, spent £15 on 500ml of this n that type of rocket fuel for little bang for buck!
Now use basic cellulose thinners for £5 a gallon, gives you wings

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have tried Toluene, Xylene, unleaded race fuel, and a product called Torco Mach Series Accellerator. (Only available in the US. They do not have a Haz-Mat license with any company for shipping outside the US.) I have also tried all of the over the counter octane boosters. All of the over-the-counter octane boosters did absolutely nothing.

To achieve the same effect (full boost on cruddy California gas, 91 octane [RON + MON]/2) required ....

1. Two gallons of Toluene. $10 a gallon

2. Two gallons of Xylene. $10 a gallon (can be found for $5 elsewhere) (Mixture of Meta and Para)

3. 5 Gallons of Race fuel. $7 a gallon (can be found cheaper ... sometimes)

4. 32 ounces of Mach Series Accellerator. $12 + $8 shipping ... but can be bought in a 6 pack for same shipping.

The side-effects of each on my car ...

1. Toluene tended to settle at the bottom of the fuel tank. Gets used up quickly.

2. Xylene caused me to replace two fuel tank seals due to a fuel leak!
I didn't know that it was the cause, and so the dealer replaced under warranty. Later on I found out that Aeromatics (Toluene and Xylene) attack elastomers in high concentrations. They might be safe as long as you make sure to wash the fuel tank lines with gasoline immediately after pouring in the Toluene/Xylene, as those were the seals which I lost.

3. No adverse side-effects. This seems to be the safest, albeit more expensive, route. It is also the ONLY legal route.

4. This caused an oxide of manganese to form on the plugs, O2 sensors, and catalysts. This worries me some, and so I stopped using it. However these oxides appear to still allow the sensors, plugs, and catalysts to work properly. No increase in emmissions after 3 months use, and no catalyst efficiency light.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
234 Posts
The little bottles you get in Halfords are a total waste of money - don't even bother. Get some 'standard thinners' from your local paint supplies shop instead.

Having said that, if you have a 'standard' engine, just stick to something high octane like optimax, that should give enough

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Not that I am likely to go this route but what ratio would you use with the thinners and does the exhaust smell any different

Mike

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I've tried the over-the-counter type and it made a little difference reducing pinking on my 99T. Optimax on the other hand did much better

Trying both however and I got

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very interesting response here. I did some internet research late lastnight and some studies have been done. It appears that all the octane improvers only seem to offer a very nominal improvements (0.2 RON - 0.7 extra!)

I think I will steer clear!
Interested about the cellulose Thinners approach, whats all that about? Can it ruin your fuel lines or worse engine? whats the principal behaind it working?

·
Registered
234 Posts
A quick google for 'homebrew race fuel' should throw up plenty of recipes like this one.

Pure toluene is tricky to find in the UK, but celly thinners are mostly toluene and xylene

Edited to add: also, do a forum search for 'toluene', most of this has been covered before

1 - 8 of 8 Posts