Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 93' 2.3fpt auto roughly how many mile should I get for £15 when the fuel light comes on doing average town driving.

I think for what I'm getting I could run Merc 500 v8!. Iv'e just checked the trip meter and it's at 65ish miles (I set it after I put fuel in).

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought about 12-15/6, it's kept in drive all the time.
I dont go quick away from lights or anything like that, so there's obviously something not right somewhere!

·
Registered
96 Posts
My MY92 2.3FPT is averaging 16 to 18 mpg on a regular basis, but I've put that down to the fact that she's used mostly for local trips i.e to the school, to the office and back again. My wife drives her most of the time during the week.

On longer runs [in France, up to Blackpool and back] I've managed to get 30 to 33 mpg out of her.

It really does depend on both your driving syle and the kind of journeys that you do. Lots of short local journeys always imho equal higher consumption / lower economy, and longer runs vice versa.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi,i have a 2.0 94lpt auto and for a tenner i get about 60 to 65 miles for town journeys, but if i prat around with it spinning the turbo to make the silly whoosh noise it will do about 40 miles,i had three miles showing on my computer once and it just got me to a petrol station just and i mean just as the fuel pump changed from a low hum into a high pitch whine,i dont know about anyone else but my fuel gauge can be on reserve when i park up then goes off when traveling to work (my drive is flat) so i go by the trip meter and drive steady.

·
Registered
256 Posts
2.3 lpt. during the week with very short journey to work and back....19.6!
on a decent run maybe 31/33.just put £15 worth in with the computer telling me i was walking in 41 miles.now says 155 miles to go :bring on the merc axl!

·
Registered
213 Posts
In my 2.3 FPT manual running stg 3 I average 26mpg, just short journeys to work and to the shops, on a longer run I can get 30+ mpg, I wouldn't worry too much about short journeys, get an idea of an full tank to balance out some of those really short drives, you should be getter at least 25+ average on normal driving.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well guy's like I said at the start I put £15 in when the light came on (I only drove 1 mile with it on).
Now it's showing 65miles on the trip so at my calculations thats about (mostly town driving, and no boy racer antics either).
So really as a couple of you said it's about 16-17mpg
. Well I'll think I'll be selling up!, again as stated previous there's no way in h*ll I'm paying that for a 2.3fpt auto, no way!.
I could expect (and got) that in the merc 500 as I said and thats more than double the cc.

Nope, enough's enough!, I can do without a/c grey heated leather seats, walnut dash ect ect.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by duncan s:
[qb]96 FTP AUTO around country lanes and short 3/5mile trips i get 27/28 mpg on long runs 34ish mpg unless give it    :fawlty:   then a lot less .My wife manages to get 37+ on long runs .  
 [/qb][/b]
Thats what I kind of expected, but it's just not happening, unless there's there's something seriously wrong somewhere.
No like I said above, selling up!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi, on my 2lt LPT I get a good 24ish around town leaving her in 3rd, (Auto) this was after a test ( two tank fills) when left in D (drive) sho only managed 20, on long runs ( 40 mls or higher) I can get 35, but my wife gets 40ish, also I fitted one of those ferick rf mains thingys, you know the type of thing clips over a 240 mains cable to computer or data lead to help stop spikes and things, over the fuel line, input side and I seem to get 1 or 2 mpg more, I also fitted one to my wife's MPV and got higher readins for that to, sound crazy but ......!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
'92 c900 2.0 turbo, some stage 1 mods (APC, EPROM, injectors, etc etc) and i get about 30 mpg (US gallons) on long trips averaging 80-85mph.

around town trips, with roadway speed limits 45-50 mph, i would average about 22-24 mpg.

back country or windy mountain roads with no other traffic around, or showing mr. wrx or civic what an 'old' Saab can do coming out of the light, or generally driving with a really heavy foot, mileage will drop to around 17-19 mpg.

but, alas, Axl, i see you are selling. i do hope you find something more suitable for yourself (hopefully another Saab!)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hmmm, got me thinking now guys. Why is a 'bog standard' 2.3 FPT only doing 16 - 18 mpg? Mind you, I am relying on what the trip computer tells me rather than any fill-measure-calculate exercises. Can I rely on the electronics in the computer? Bear in mind that Drakken is an auto as well, and that also tends to reduce economy.

Funnily enough, and contrary to other posts here, I can get the consumption down / economy up on local trips better than my wife but we can't work out why although I suspect a heavier right foot

Axl, if your decision is purely economic then I can't say I blame you. But, as many have said in other posts, it's more than just a fiscal decision, its emotional one as well and for pounds per
there's little to beat it imho.
I hope you do find something that meets your requirements soon.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.