Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Fuel Consumption

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  adrian 
#1 ·
Just a quick query. I'm currently running a 2.3Tcs. How does the economy fair against the LP turbo? I've got an auto box & drive not particularly feather footed! On an average £20.00 of fuel, around town I get 100 miles (around 19.8 mpg according to the trip computer). Is the LP turbo significantly more economical ??

#2 ·
My 2.3cs lpt manual averages about 30-32 mpg on a mix of daily cold start short journeys
(3-5 miles) & a couple of 30 - 50 mile trips a week . Thats about 6 mpg more than my old non turbo 9000 2.3 .

I normally reckon on 150 miles from £20 but thats at Scottish Highland fuel prices.( I'm sure that fuel should be cheaper here , we are a damn site closer to the source of the stuff after all)

#3 ·
My dad gets around the same in town driving in a CSE 2.0LPT auto. The auto cars are just not very economical around town. On the motorway, I can eke out 35mpg from both that car and my 2.0LPT manual. I've had more than 40mpg on a long trip from my manual Aero, due to the higher gearing.

Theoretically, the LPT should be a bit less efficient, given an identical engine to the FPT. In practice, of course, it depends on how you drive it and the FPT is capable of using a lot more fuel when pushed hard.

#5 ·
Originally posted by TheFox:
[qb]2.3 lpt with Abbott ecu upgrade[/qb][/b]
That's hardly a 2.3LPT any more, is it? More like a SPT (super-pressure turbo)
I think that does support the argument that the higher state of tune lends greater efficiency and therefore greater mpg, all other things being equal (like driving style).

#7 ·
Just bought a full pressure 2.3 turbo with 240bhp upgrade (dunno what but red boxes abound). First drove the car from Preston to Manchester and got 38mpg on the run, a week of city driving and air-con, to and from work has dropped this to 30!! Still uses less juice than my 2.0 FPT. Maybe the Cruise Control used on my 5 mile motorway section.

#8 ·
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by TheFox:
[qb]2.3 lpt with Abbott ecu upgrade[/qb][/b]
That's hardly a 2.3LPT any more, is it? More like a SPT (super-pressure turbo)
[/qb][/b][/quote]LOL and enjoying every minute of it.

Serious change of driving style has been needed as the power is so available, yet the fact that you don't use more than half throttle most of the time obviously aids MPG. A good side benefit!

#9 ·
Make sure the trip computer is set to "mpg imp". If not it is measuring the smaller US gallons. Mine was set like this when I first had the car and changing the units made a big improvement to the measured fuel consumption. I was no better off of course but it was one less thing to worry about!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.