Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why a car which is built for Swedish winters, has problems with door locks freezing up. My 1990 9000 Turbo this last two days, has had to have very hot water poured over door handles to (1) get door to open and (2) to get it to shut again.
Is there anything that can prevent such things (apart from putting it in the garage overnight - I know)?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
After 12 years of use I would have thought ANY lock would be entitled to freeze up .
Obtain a aerosol grease, Halfords do one with a handy tube built on the nozzle , hold a piece of cloth below the lock to protect your paintwork and inject the grease into the lock.it may be worth while using WD40 first and then the grease , once a year is all that it needs.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
slight change of subject , why do people de-ice expensive glass with hot water?
I used to know a technician at Triplex who maintained that hot water on sub zero glass set up tensions in the glass that made it unstable come hot weather (If you can remember hot weather) And I have seen the evidence for myself , not sure how it would effect laminated glass though .

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - it is not just the door locks that become frozen, I can sort them with lock de-icer, but the door latch mechanism. If I get the door open, they will not close properly again, somewhere along the chain of linkages must get frozen within the door. Anyway have already tried WD40, but will try the aerosol grease.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hmmm... me too. Couldn't close the O/S passenger door this morning. Slammed it a few times but it just bounced back. Waited a few minutes while I scraped the windows and then it closed OK.

All the other doors were OK.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
use the grease on the catch on the edge if the door , on the rear doors you can inject through the gap by the childproof locks but make sure it goes well into the mechanism .Do not just rely on the wd40 , it shifts the water but has little lubrication.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.