Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again I meant to in the last letter,now that 'jacks' about in the morning,whats the best way to open a door (apart from the handles,he,he)
Cause' even tonight when I was out I'd only left the car for half an hour or so and as I opened my door it was 'sticking' to the rubber at the top,anyone any ideas,cause' I dont want it tearing.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna sound a complete pratt here,but here goes,is that before/after you close the door.
When I say 'after'what I'm thinking is once the door's shut then your 'sealing' round it so that 'jack' cant get in,or is it putting it on the rubber 'before',which I'm not sure about,na!,must be the 1st way,right!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think he means spray the rubber door seal ie coat it (lightly) with silicone so that it can't stick to the paintwork. If you spray after the door is closed, the spray won't get to where the rubber is sticking.

bambo

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I tried Petrolium Jelly once, and found that the thicker compound attracted dirt, which will ulimately damage the rubbers.

Also, Petrolium Jelly will slowly decompose the rubbers seals (although it takes alot of time, and is used by some mechanics to swell neopreme gaskets to improve sealing effect).

This weekend I used a can of Silicon spray, specifically intedned for door seals, and it doesn't hold dirt like Petrolium Jelly.

But Petrolium Jelly is the cheaper option!

In either case, door rubbers need to be treated occassionally to stop them hardening and cracking, as well as sticking in the frost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.