Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My car has 95,000ks on the clock. There is a light shudder/vibration in the front wheels somewhere. I have had the bearings checked, the tyres checked, wheels balanced and the feeing is still there - accompanied by a very quiet noise consistent with wheel rotation.

Could the is the carrier bearing on the longside front axle? Any other possibilities?

Thanks for any advice

Regards

Ray

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi, I have a 1992 9000CDT auto. It had a slight, but noticable, vibration at and above about 45 MPH. It was more pronounced with "power on", and went away (almost) coasting.

Turned out I needed an alignment. First one I'd done on it with over 200k miles. Who knew?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Sadly, I think it is a 9000 trait, having driven other cars. They do seem super-sensitive to vibrations and wheel balancing and you will find that wheel balancing machines are often not calibrated accurately. I visited two a while ago within a couple of days and the measurements were totally different.

One thing that might be worth checking is how warn your suspension bushes are. By that, I mean wishbones and anti-roll bar bushes. If they are warn, you are likely to get more vibration. Ditto if you have changed them to polyurethane.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
One thing I find a bit weard in this day and age is the way wheel balancing is done, it's better to balanc the wheel on the car, not off, that way you balance the disk as well and any worn bushes will so up

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Joe, I agree with the full balance thing but the reason I was given a long time ago was that this trend was not the norm now because it can mask bearing/suspension issues that need addressing.

However, the local tyre service place Eden Tyre Sales has a very very sexy wheel balancing rig where they will do a dynamic balance which is way above just bunging the wheel on the machine and pressing the green button. I'm a bit at a loss to describe it but it's not the norm as it takes hours rather than minutes and costs proportionally more.

David.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.