Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front tyres seem to be on their way out. Its the first time I am going to replace tyres since I bought the car in March this year. Currently I have 195-65/R15 V on all the wheels.

Following are some of the questions in my mind:

1> Will I gain anything by fixing wider tyres (205/215) on my front wheels only? I don't want to change my back tyres as they are still very good. (though, I will want to upgrade the back tyres when in the future I need to change them)

2> If the answer to the above question is YES, is it just a normal tyre change at a tyre shop or do I need to make any changes to the bodywork of the car (97 CSE Anniv 2.0 LPT).

3> Do I need to inform my insurance company about this as a modification and will my premium go up because of this.

4> Being a novice I would like to know another thing: do bigger alloys (16"/17") improve handling as compared to a 15" alloys. The reason I ask this is that my Anniv alloys look absolutely lovely and I would not like to replace them with something else if it is just for the sake of looks.

5> Recommendations on tyres... From what I hear Michelin Pilot Premacy is very good. Any better value for money proposition?

All this is in the light of the fact that I am thinking of gradually upgrading the car as and when I can afford to.... probably a speedparts/ Maptun ECU upgrade later next year.

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can give me.

Cheers,
Neel.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by neel:
[qb]3> Do I need to inform my insurance company about this as a modification and will my premium go up because of this.
[/qb][/b]
Yes, and depends. It's a modification, and one that would be spottable in the event of a claim. It's not worth taking the risk of not informing them, IMO

[qb]4> Being a novice I would like to know another thing: do bigger alloys (16"/17") improve handling as compared to a 15" alloys. The reason I ask this is that my Anniv alloys look absolutely lovely and I would not like to replace them with something else if it is just for the sake of looks.

[/qb][/b]
Allegedly, yes, or so other postings (and Abbott's web site) indicate. I've got the same issue - I'm looking for larger wheels of similarly good looks. Any suggestions?

[qb]5> Recommendations on tyres... From what I hear Michelin Pilot Premacy is very good. Any better value for money proposition?

[/qb][/b]
I suspect I'm on my own here, but I didn't like them (I had them on my previous 9000). They took a while to wear enough to grip properly and never seemed as good as my previous P6000s. Other posters seem to have negative views of the P6000s, though.

[qb]All this is in the light of the fact that I am thinking of gradually upgrading the car as and when I can afford to.... probably a speedparts/ Maptun ECU upgrade later next year.

[/qb][/b]
I got mine Abbottised (rather than Maptun/Speedparts) because it's an auto and I didn't want the levels of power/torque the others offer because of the possible impact on the auto box. Mine's a 2.3 so I ended up with about 210hp - which is what a 2.0 with speedparts/maptun would end up around? So the end ersult should be comparable. It's a huge change in drivability and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i have just fitted a set of continental premium contact size 205/60/15. they are a huge improvment over the p6000's i had before. i paid an extra 15 quid for w rating thinking it would have stiffer side walls. the whole job inc balance was £370

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi neel,

1. You may well get better traction with 215's, but the compound/makeup of the tyre probably makes as great a difference.

2. I have 215/45ZR17 tyres on my '94 Aero with Abbott springs and don't have any problems.

3. Yes, inform your insurers as it is a mod from standard.

4. Yes, larger diameter wheels with lower profile rubber improve steering precision and promote rapid response to the steering input. The downside being a greater amount of vibration and harshness with 17" being the worse of course. This is all quite subjective, one persons 'harsh' is anothers 'not too bad' etc.

5. I use Goodyear Eagle F1's and have done for a few years now, they won outright the 'evo' tyre test in 2002. Other tyres in the top three of that test were the Continental Sport Contact and the Toyo Proxes T1-S.

Nick.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input Gents!

I have most of my queries answered, except for this:

Can I have wider tyres (say 205) on my front wheels and continue to have the 195 tyres on my rear wheels. Will that be a problem. I am assuming that the other dimensions of the tyre will remain the same so 195-65/R15 upgraded to 205-65/R15. Is that right?

Another query just crops up to my mind: Will my 15" anniv alloys automatically accomodate wider tyres or will I need to change/ modify my alloys?

I do apologize if my queries are a bit naive.

TIA,
Neel.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by neel:
[qb] I am assuming that the other dimensions of the tyre will remain the same so 195-65/R15 upgraded to 205-65/R15. Is that right?

[/qb][/b]
No. I think.

The 65 is the tyre wall height as a percentage of the width, so a 205/65 has a larger diameter than a 195/65, which you don't want. You ideally want a 205/61.8, which I suspect doesn't exist . 205/60 would be closest to the original diameter.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
web page

Hi, try above to get a tyre size, I have 205/55 15s on my 9kcs, I wont say it makes a bifferance but 195 just seem to small for a car of that sizethere BF goodritch but thats just a Mitch in any other name.
Got to go I smell smoke.

·
Registered
836 Posts
In wishing to increase the size of your tyres, you also need to realise that the 'size' printed on the side of the tyre doesn't necessarily mean that the tyre is exactly that size. Each tyre 'size' has a range, up to a specified ERTRO maximum. Usually, a 205 will be bigger than a 195, but not always. I had some 205/55R16 which actually measured 225mm across the tread! ERTRO max. spec. is 227 for this size. Also this 'size' is the nominal overall width, which is not the same as the treadwidth. Some tyres, such as Pirelli P6000, tend to have a quite narrow tread in relation to their width (on some sizes anyway), others are very square and treadwidth is almost tyre width.

I wouldn't mess about changing the size on one end only, just try and get some decent performance tyres (if it is performance you are looking for) - the tyre brand/model/construction will make a bigger difference than the nominal size.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I forgot to add, if changing one pair only, all the tyre companies recommend that you put the new ones on the back .
The logic being that if you unbalance the handling with one axle worn/ one axle good, then understeer is safer (mostly less fun though ) than oversteer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.