Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a bit of spirited driving on Saturday whilst trying to follow a very quick bike engined seven down some bumpy B-roads, I noticed a creak from the steering suspension. On inspection this evening I found that one of the alloy sleeves that fits around the suspension arm fixing point (where it fixes to the sub-frame) had broken up and a piece fell away when I poked it. It was severely corroded and the fact that the cracks weren't new suggested it had been on it's way out for a while.

Firstly;

Is it possible to release the suspension arm enough to fit a new sleeve without completely removing the hub, shockers etc? How big a job is this?

If I carry on driving the car what damage might I incur?

Sorry if I mis-named the various parts, I'll try and get some pics later on once my camera has some batteries.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Yes you can pull the lower wishbone out of the subframe without removing any other suspension parts,just be careful not to pull it out too far as the driveshaft may pull out of the box! Won't do any damage to your car driving like it is BUT safety should be your first concern mate if the arm becomes detatched it could harm you/your car others

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Leon [9-5 stg2]:
[qb] Is this the butterfly bush to the rear of the bottom arm? [/qb][/b]
Nope, it's towards the front of the car, where the suspension arm bolts onto the subframe. The "sleeve" as I call it it the only part separating the surface of the arm from the subframe.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Jason,

It's not a big job
They are always breaking
They are about £5.00 each
They don't take long to change unless you're fitting poly to replact the rubber...

Here were mine, and it didn't fix the creak:

Andrew

·
Registered
461 Posts
Both our 9000s (a K-reg CSE and an R-reg Aero) failed their MOTs this winter on these little lovlies - requiring more of them than the garage had in stock, so keeping one car off the road for two days...

The MOT station described them on the fail sheet as 'damaged front suspension bush', so it was a good job I asked what they meant, or I think I could have spent an awfully long time inspecting my perfectly good rubber bushes.

I used it as an excuse to poly the Aero while I was down there.

Carl

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I reused all the bolts and nuts.

Removed wishbone by dropping the 3 10mm bolts on the ball joint, the 2 nuts on the front inner part of the wishbone and the 18mm nut behind the buterfly bust and the arb drop link.

The took the whole lot into the warm to change.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Done ... but only having to dash to ECP to pick up a new ARB droplink kit after I broke the droplink trying to remove the siezed nut!

Still creaks though. But seems to be from just the one side only now and it's only creaking on turning the wheel, not when going over bumps etc. Going to try replacing the other droplink in Monday to see if that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.