Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. So i'm looking to get some input on a couple things.

I need to replace the strut assembly on the drivers side for my 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0t because the mount bearing is bad and creaking.
I bought a Quick Strut online a couple years ago, and it's been working fine since then, but it just started creaking again like the original one that was on it before.
I purchased a used OEM strut off of ebay that appears to have the same exact problems, so now i'm trying to look for a new one and have two questions.

1) What exactly do the color codes mean that are on the OEM struts? Like Blue vs Red/Purple, Sport vs non-Sport suspension, etc. I've seen these terms thrown around online and haven't found any concrete answers on what colors mean what kind of suspension.

2) Does anybody know of any reliable vendors that sell used OEM struts that have the best chance of NOT having a bad mount bearing, and are decently priced? The only option I've found for decently priced OEM struts are off ebay, and the rest of the options on there look like ones picked out of junkyards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not just buy the bearing?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
I was scared shitless of compressing the spring on the strut to replace it. That's why i didn't just buy that.
But from looking it up, i'm warming up to the idea and looks like it's not really that bad.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Buying some spring compressors and the bearing will probably be same as buying a strut you don't know the condition of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buying some spring compressors and the bearing will probably be same as buying a strut you don't know the condition of.

True. I'm just gonna go ahead and do it. Wasn't sure how difficult or safe it was before, but seems like it's easy from some videos i've seen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, so I went to the local auto parts store and rented a spring compressor set, which seems to have worked well.
However, I found out that my actual springs are what's creaking and not my mount bearing.
Now I have to figure out which spring to get, because i'm not even sure I got the right strut for my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts