Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My aero was in WMSS having front poly bushes, CV boots and a new timing chain yesterday.

Whilst it was there I had one of their front strut braces fitted. Its a silver powder coated item, nice quality!

There is a big difference in the handling now. Its still on original springs/shock, but the whole car is stiffer and more composed- especially when pushing it hard on twisy stuff.

I recommend the upgrade- it should have been fitted to the aero as standard! John said it was a new item they had only just started selling.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
ok - I was just about to order a speedparts one of these....

Can you tell me how much it was and what it is made of? - eg stainless or alloy. I assume its a matt silver coated alloy item (as opposed to a chrome finish)
If its good quality and less than 120gbp I might go for it..

much appreciated, Phil -

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,

I'm not sure where WMSS source the item from. I believe its powder coated alloy. Mine is silver, but there were other colours available.

I don't have a photo yet. Its basically a rectangular box section with pivotted ends next to the struts. The end sections are mounted to the struts with new hex bolts. It looks good!

I believe they are £125 + fitting and VAT, but check with WMSS as I don't have the bill to hand!

Simon

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
thanks Simon - I'm just about to phone them - so I might just place an order. I am surprised that it has hinges at the ends as i would have thought that would allow more twist in the chassis?
Although I suppose the forces that it is controlling are push/pull and not bending of the brace so hinges shouldnt matter.
Anyone know whether most braces hinged?

Cheers, Phil

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
All the braces I've seen/heard of for 9000s, and many other cars are "hinged". Well, not hinged as such, but they need a means of attaching the cross member to the turret brackets, and a simple bolt through a tube in a hinge like fashion is a simple, elegant way of achieving this.

As the brace acts in a single horizontal plane to stop inward/outward flex of the top of the turrets perpendicular to the length of the car, hinging has no significant effect.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
ok cheers:

This is the info:
Its a custom made item for WMSS
They currently have a silver powder coated item which they believe is alloy. (The main guy is not in for a couple of days)
Its 125+vat but they havent really started sorting themselves out for any kind of volume yet.

They are also waiting on somestainless steel ones which are due in 'soon'. Hopefully these will be a similar price....
One difference of these over the speedparts item is that instead of the end plate being flat, it is curved slightly to the shape of the wing - so its not under so much stress.
I think its easier to fit that the SP model too.

Anyway - I might wait and see how much the stainless item is when it comes in.

Any photos would be great too

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Ref curving the end plates, I would say that's not the best thing to do. The key element is to transfer the stiffness via the mounting points i.e. the 3 bolts, so there should be as little flex as possible. As soon as you bend a previously flat piece of metal, you compromise it's ability to carry load along it's length without flexing. OK it's small detail but...

The best solution IMO would be to use packing under a flat mounting plate to ensure the plate is level. A simple way of doing this would be to use washers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is very interesting as I was asking about front strut braces last week. I have had a quick look on the WMSS site but can't see any reference to the strut brace. I would also be interested in a picture if there is one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There are two types of front strut brace on elkparts site now,one is the speedparts and the other is an elksports brace developed with WMSS.Both are around 146 notes.Although quite a bit more expensive,I think the Abbott one looks the best

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'd say it might mess with the crumple zone a bit. It's also probably quite an expensive thing to make and fit i.e. it might add 2-300 to the final selling price of the car and probably appeared on saab's 'nice to have' list as opposed to the 'must have' list. There still aren't many cars fitted with a strut brace as standard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts