Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again Folks

I have been reading the comments about the benefits of a front strut brace on another thread and every one commenting seems to really rate the improvement that is made. Can anyone tell me whether it is a DIY fit or does it require welding in?

Also, do the ones on offer restrict access to the greasy bits or does it run fairly well to the rear of the engine compartment?

Also, anyone know the advantage of the Abbott one over the Elkparts offering?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It's a relatively easy DIY job- you just need to make sure the car is on a level surface before you begin, so ensure that you don't bolt it down when the chassis may be twisted out of true.

It may need some manipulation of the AC pipes on the RHS, but it's not too hard.

As for whether you choose Abbott or Elk is down to balancing the pros and cons of each. First off, any strut brace makes a huge difference and is worthwhile- I have one of similar construction to the ELk fitted to mny car.

I've also seen the Abbott model in the flesh and it is made from heavier gauge stainless steel rather that chrome plated mild steel. Being of more substantial construction, it will perform slightly better, and there will be no danger of rust, so it's down to whether you think it's worth around twice the price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses, it sounds like a no-brainer as to whether it is worthwhile. Might just do something rash in the next couple of weeks.

On another topic, is it normal for the gearstick to move quite forcefully back and forward when going from drive to over-run in third gear on a 9000 Aero? I also occasionally hear a metallic 'click' when engaging third. Is this a typical wear problem for this model?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The gearshift movement is almost certainly due to your engine mounts being worn out. Replace these ASAP as it will only lead to premeture aging of other parts.

Also do the gearshift rubber block (in the linkage)if this hasn't been done recently. It may well improve the gearshift quality.
Nick.

·
Registered
164 Posts
cdcarlsson,

Can you - or someone else - elaborate a bit on this? I have the same thing happening, so if it's a problem that can be cured easily I'll get it done. But if the engine mounts have to be replaced, how easy is that?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Also, do the ones on offer restrict access to the greasy bits or does it run fairly well to the rear of the engine compartment?  [/b]
it is pretty well to the rear of the engine compartment
It does restrict access to 2 main things ..
the dipstick and the brake/hydraulic system reservoir
I am currently using a long funnel for adding oil
a small price to pay fr the improvements !!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the picture of the strutbrace, as usual, it's worth a thousand words. Also to Coyote for the info on the dipstick etc.

The gearstick movement is something I need to explore more fully. As I have only had the car for around four / five weeks I don't know the 'replacement parts' part of the service history (I only have the stamped up service book). I will check the 9000 site, it is very informative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.