Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's ben a lot of discussion on front anti-roll bars and changing front and rear ARBs...but can anyone confirm whether adding a front strut brace add to greater understeer if everything else is left unmodified?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m not sure of the answer, but this it’s something that is scheduled to be tested in the next few weeks. We will have data to share at that time.
Eric
MP Performance LLC

·
Registered
494 Posts
i cannot confirm through personal experience, but maybe someone else can?

the ARB will act, in a sense, like a stiffer spring. it will work to limit suspension travel when forces are applied. an ARB will work differently from a spring because the ARB is a single unit connected to both wheels and the frame. most of what an ARB does is to limit the body roll.

a front strut brace is mounted at the top of the front struts and is designed to work against the lateral forces applied to the suspension (will keep your wheels more upright through the turns rather than letting the suspension flex that will cause a change in your camber during hard cornering).

HTH

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'd say that if anything, a front strut brace would very slightly reduce the tendency to understeer. By acting to keep the geometry in correct alignment under load, it will help to maintain the tyres at the correct angle to the road, thus increasing grip.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i have had a strut brace fitted for about a month,i also have konis and h&r springs. i can confirm that on my car 2.0lpt maptun stage 3, the front end has a more secure feel, i drive fairly hard and have noticed that in the wet the car feels more stable and settled. it has had little or no effect on over or under steer on my car. my top tip is still the same. get all your chassis fixing points re-torqued, you will be amazed at the difference it makes to your saab.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by peter messenger:
[qb]i have had a strut brace fitted for about a month,i also have konis and h&r springs. i can confirm that on my car 2.0lpt maptun stage 3, the front end has a more secure feel, i drive fairly hard and have noticed that in the wet the car feels more stable and settled. it has had little or no effect on over or under steer on my car. my top tip is still the same. get all your chassis fixing points re-torqued, you will be amazed at the difference it makes to your saab. [/qb][/b]
Peter,

What do you mean by e-torqued? simply tigten up to the recommended settings, or add ARBs, replace suspension etc?

·
Registered
291 Posts
The only mods I have done is a front strutbrace,poly wishbone and rear anti roll bar bushes.This is in combination with Bridgestone S-03's,these were fitted seperatly so I could see the differance.The first were the wishone bushes as they were worn,this seems to tighten steering but adds a bit of harshness.The rear ARB bushes were next,this did seem to help turn in and reduce some body roll,not a massive improvement as the one I took off was vertually new,but very cheap and simple mod
Now the stutbrace,this made a big differance like posts before said,it reduces body roll,stops dash creaks and gives more feeling to the steering which I found light with no feedback.It is that good that at the moment I wont even bother with uprating the spings and dampers as I have experience of them ruining ride quality and not being speed hump friendly what ever speed you do.These in combination with the Bridgestones make it hard to find the limit of grip,(certainly good enough for road use)maybe I'm not trying hard enough

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I bought my car it already had the relevant bushes and koni/abbott suspension, to this I added a strutbrace, which I beleive seemed to harmonise the other suspension components, if a modification is fitted to a car and the driver is able to notice/feel a difference for the better then in my eyes the modification has been worthwhile.
Upgraded suspension transforms the 9000, I am writing this in comparision from my 9000 cse to my friends 9000 aero's, although with the Koni shocks it would depend on the setting as to how much difference you feel (the advantage with adjustable shocks). This setup provides a much higher feeling of control and seems to allow for more proficent use of power.
Going back to the understeer issue, I cannot see that the strutbrace is the instant solution to curing understeer in a powerful FWD. When driving it is surely attempting to find a balance between traction and understeer.
Plus it does look super s*xy in the engine bay

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Anything you can do to reduce chassis flex and keep the front end geometry as it is intended to be under load must be a good thing. It may not reduce understeer per se, but it it will improve steering accuracy & control and may therefore reduce the perception of understeer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just to back up the above comments about keeping the front end geometry as intended, I just had my front alignment checked, as I was getting abnormal wear on the inside of both tyres. Turned out they were toe-out 2.5, instead of toe-in 1.5.

That might not sound much, but the front of the car now feels noticably more "together", and less skittish. The steering also feels more confident thru the corners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am aware this is a 12 years old topic, however, I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the chassis fixing points torque are?
If I want to re-torque them, where should I look?

If anyone could answer that, I'd be very happy :)

I know a 9-3 is an old car, but I still love it and I'd like to get it back in perfect condition.

Thanks a lot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts