Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I have noticed when I turn the wheel sharp to pull out of a space and start to move, there is often a loud thunk coming from the passenger front wheel area.
This will happen in forward or reverse and it does not happen when I am going straight. I have given the steering wheel a good shaking back and forth to see if I notice any occurance of this knock. The rack seems nice and firm with no out of the ordinary play. Also, while driving I did some zig-zag driving and don't notice this when up to speed...only when starting after being stopped.
I am not feeling any feedback through the steering wheel so it has me really confused.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, when I do this repair, I am going to put some new performance brakes. I need a good source (not too expensive please) to get some rotors for the front and rear.

As a closing side note, does anyone have a source that could help me find a leather seat cover (black and bottom part...where the good ol butt goes) that would fit on the 94 Aero seat? I want to replace mine.

thanks for any help and suggestions.

kind regards,
john

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi John

The Knock sounds to me like the front lower control arm bushes need replacing.

I had the same knock on my '94 Aero when manoeuvring at very low speeds - pulling into a parking space etc.

I replaced mine with Poly ones. Cost - under £20. Time to fit, couple of hours at most.

For more info on the procedure try this link:
www.Saab9000.com - Replacing the Saab 9000 front lower control arm bushes

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i certainly hope the cv is not on the way out. i just had is serviced about a month ago in which the whole front suspension was removed. I think I will start with the bushing...I was wanting to replace the suspension bushings anyway. any suggestions where to get some good aftermarket for the aero?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
This sounds exactly like what is happening on my 1993 aero. It happens when the steering is pulled well round while pulling away. I also notice that it occurs most reliably when pulling forward from a space that I have reversed into, or reversing froma position that I have driven forward into. It was suggested to me that I may need to re torque my sub frame bolts and suspension bolts. I haven't gotten round to checking these yet but it seems to make sense with given the sound (single clonk) and when it occurs. Also, it only started after I had fitted new wishbone bushes, so maybe I didn't torque something correctly , or maybe I unsettled something while pulling everything about.

Kev

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input. i will definitly be on the lookout for this stuff when i get the car up in the air.
i am going to go ahead and replace all the bushings...trying to decide if i should go stock or put in some better aftermarket

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you are going to keep the car a while i would go for Poly Bushes - not the standard rubber units.

I have not noticed any added harshness from fitting these to my aero, just a more 'confident' feel to the handling of the car.

Plus they have the added bonus of longer life.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there some difference between URETHANE and POLYURETHANE ???

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two bushes (except for the drastic price difference)
Option 1: AbbottRacing Bushes for 195.00 pair

Option 2:
eEuroparts Bushes kit - 59.90

On the surface it seems to be a no brainer which ones to get but is there going to be some huge performance difference...not a small difference, but noticeable...worth spending an extra 130 to get the AbbottRacing
Kind regards...

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I believe that different suppliers use different hardness of (poly)urethane bushes. Many members have tried them, but they are the more sporty drivers - most of them are away at the Saabscene trackday this weekend.

Some have changed back partially to original rubber to reduce the extra vibration the plastic bushes often cause.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Also check that the large centre hub nut, right in the centre of the wheel is tight. My car made a similar noise and this was the problem. Free to fix . maybe the CV work losened this. it should be threadlocked i think,.

·
Registered
778 Posts
jechilt: I've used both: the Abbott and the eEuropart control arm bushes. Actually, I've used 3 - my white Aero had the Superflex control arm bushes. Presently, my '98 CSE has the eEuroparts fitted. They were only $80 and they were already fitted into the aluminum brackets. They've only been on for a hundred miles, but seem to perform no different than the Abbott's, or Superflex. The fact that I didn't have to struggle with removing the rubber out of the old brackets made them even more of a no-brainer. I know that Abbott built their reputation with their suspension knowledge, but it's beyond me why they went out of their way to have their name cast into a suspension component that nobody will ever see

Kevster: check the front bushings on your control arms. I've seen the brackets that hold them in place fail on older vehicles, like yours. Especially when the rear poly bushes have removed a degree of freedom that rubber usually provides.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Kevster:  check the front bushings on your control arms.  I've seen the brackets that hold them in place fail on older vehicles, like yours.  Especially when the rear poly bushes have removed a degree of freedom that rubber usually provides.[/b]
Thanks Robert. I had a good look over all the components at the time of fitting the bushes and one of the alu' brackets had indeed split and so I replaced all of them at the time. I'll have another look but would hope that they are still Ok after a couple of thousand miles....but you never know.

Kev

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's one no-one has thought of yet. I have the same clunk when turning my car slowly i.e. parking, also most noticeable when going forward in my C900.

After replacing bushes, CV joints, balljoints and bearings, it was still there! On speaking to several guys who work on them daily, it turns out that in older cars that have had several sets of wheel bearings, the housing become marginally slacker. The clunk you hear is the outer race of the bearing spinning a couple of degrees under the pressure, hence you only get the noise on parking. Next time you fit wheel bearings apply bearing fit to lock the outers in place. Problem solved!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's one no-one has thought of yet. I have the same clunk when turning my car slowly i.e. parking, also most noticeable when going forward in my C900.

After replacing bushes, CV joints, balljoints and bearings, it was still there! On speaking to several guys who work on them daily, it turns out that in older cars that have had several sets of wheel bearings, the housing become marginally slacker. The clunk you hear is the outer race of the bearing spinning a couple of degrees under the pressure, hence you only get the noise on parking. Next time you fit wheel bearings apply bearing fit to lock the outers in place. Problem solved!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.