Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post and one born out of a degree of desperation. I have a 1987 saab900 8V turbo, which has just failed the MOT on the handbrake not holding (only thing wrong
).

I recently replaced the front pads and disks (vented) as both were badly worn. The handbrake at the time was pretty useless. Far from solving the handbrake problem the handbrake now does not work at all.

The garage who failed it had a look at the calipers and told me they couldn't get the handbrake mechanism to work. When replacing the disks and pads I wound the pistons back in so they seem to be working with the worm gear but even with the adjustment fully out on the handbrake lever there is no braking.

The foot pedal is fine and the cables for the handbrakes are also fine. Has anyone ever had this problem or fully serviced a set of calipers. They do look pretty rotten from the outside but new ones will cost me a min of £75 each (remanufactured) so hoped I might be able to service them myself.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Hello and welcome to SAABScene!

The front calipers on the 99 and early 900s were IMHO always tricky to keep on top of. Many people do not understand how they work (to be fair, I have to include myself in this category) I have seen repair kits for them, which I think involves a new ratchet and handbrake pawl assembly.

All I can suggest is that you search this forum and any other SAAB fora for the technical inf.

What I would say is that unless you are on a tight budget or mad keen on job satisfaction, the time spent isn't always worth the cost saved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I was amazed how expensive the calipers were. Most quotes come in at about £240 for the pair and that includes the return of a £50 deposit for sending them the old ones that they (hopefully) deem Ok to refurbish.

I have bought a remanufactured pair from someone in the states (bit of a risk I know!!
) that have cost me £110 for the pair including postage.

We shall see when they arrive.

TIll then it is out with my trusty wooden chocks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.