Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

front grill/bumper crash damage advice needed

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  robertson.a 
#1 ·
hi All

during my 7 hours sitting in traffic getting home on Tuesday I skidded into the car in front on the ice - slow speed less than 10mph and no obvious damage to their car but bit of damage to mine - don't think anything mechanical is broken as car worked for another two hours before I got home.

first image is with bonnet up the left hand side circled in red appears to be hard up against the metal behind whereas the bits on the other side are not touching - I'm guessing this is twisted somehow

This second image shows the cracked grill with the crome bits cracked and the actual black plastic behind pushed back - I think the black bit should be above the grey of the bumper but I can't seem to get it to go there and don't want to force it.

So couple of questions - the twisting do the experts think that is going to be something major (expensive) to replace or a simple case of some brute force from the garage to twist it straight. As for the grill I have seen they do a fancy one for £200 but would quite happily have the original one if its cheaper, does anyone have an idea as to how much they cost?

Going to have to phone the garage on Monday and see if they can look at it.

Not very happy as its one cost after another, thanks for any help

Michael

See less See more
#2 ·
You wont really know until the bumper cover is off the car. At that speed the actual bumper bar that is behind the plastic cover will be fine and the polystyrene block will have deformed a bit. It will pop out to some degree but you could always put in another one. If the clips are broken off, and don;t let the garage snap them getting the thing off, then the good news is that they can be 'plastic welded back on'. You can even do this yourself, but there are many professional outfits now who can come around and do it for you. It is a good low cost option to getting a new bar.If the cover is cracked, then try to source a decent SH one from a breaker/wrecker yard in your color, but this is a low chance option, as most cars die head first. If it is only scratched then you could get it repaired and sprayed up, but then the money thing becomes an issue. The little grills just pop out and someone who actually knows where to press with their little flatblade screwdriver can help you put good SH ones in. They are not cheap as a new item from SAAB. Ask me how I know.
Hope this helps. PM me if you wish..

#3 ·
It's ages since I took the grille out on my previous 2002 Aero. But, if I remember correctly, you lift out the two side grilles - sort of lift/push back/twist and out. Then you can get behind the centre bit to release the squeezy plastic clips. May not be that squeezy in the cold!!

What is the condition of the 5 fasteners along the top of the grille. Have they broken? If you want to remove them, use the screwdriver in the boot, it has a lump on the top of the handle that pushes the centre the correct amount to release the fastener, then pull the whole thing up.

#4 ·
Just driven car to airport and back and everything seems fine so luckily it looks like damage is only cosmetic (small mercy).

Having been off work since Tuesday so I have to go in tomorrow but will have a look when I get home from work - the five black clips on top all seem intact, does the grill attach to these and if so is it best to remove the clips first rather than risk breaking them? I'll have a play at trying to remove the grill bits. I had a bit of a play yesterday but didn't want to force it incase I broke off some clip or something that would be needed to attach a new grill.

Is it possible to get a replacement grill from Saab or do they only sell the Hirsch replacement one - and is it any cheaper?
(like this http://www.elkparts.com/saab-95-m98-to-09/...205.p3469.html)

Thanks
Michael

#5 ·
Oooops! I got it exactly the wrong way around!! :rolleyes:

[attachment=67:Screen_s...16.29.21.png]

[attachment=68:Screen_s...16.30.12.png]

The five top black fasteners do not do anything for th three grill pieces. The are fixings for the whole assembly bumper and the grille surrounds.

#6 ·
And that little black plastic 'catch' is a right pain when it snaps. If it won't pop out when you try to prise them up with a very small tape covered screwdriver then don't get aggro with it. Pull gently while you try to unseat the edge of the clip. A torch helps too. They are quite tough and once out can be heated up a bit and reshaped to get it to stay put. But pushed past their limit, and bang...tears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.