Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. I have the stock grill on my car.. I am looking to change the black behind it.. It has the silver plastic peice infront and then that black plastic behind it.. I think it's ugly.. I wanna keep the silver peice and then put a typ eof carbon fiber mesh behind it. I think it would lok really good. Anyone know where I can buy this or will I have to do a custom job with a big peice of Carbon Fiber and cut it to size. If you's have no idea what I am talking about I will try to explain it alittle better. Sorry I am tuning illiterate. =)

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Not sure about carbonfibre I think it is normally done with a wire mesh - aluminium or galvanised steel.

I just did mine three days ago.

Some photos

More photos

Here's the procedure for doing it on a 9-3, which I daresay is the same for the 9-5 -M01

<ul type="square">
[*]Separate black plastic rear section of grille from front chrome section.
[*]Cut out fins.
[*]break countless dremel grinding discs

[*]break you last remaining hacksaw blade
[*]smooth remaining stubs.
[*]Sand smooth so that theapertures on the black plastic rear section now match the ones on the front chrome section
[*]place mesh in back of chrome section and cut to size with side cutters.
[*]Optionally glue mesh to chrome (I didn't bother)
[*]Reassemble rear black plastic section against chrome front section whilst sandwiching the mesh section in between the two
[*]Take it apart again when you realise you forgot to replace the rubber bit that runs underneath the chrome
[*]place rubber bit along bottom of chrome section

[*]Reassemble rear black plastic section against chrome front section whilst sandwiching the mesh section in between the two
[*]Cut your fingers and thumbs trying to squeeze the whole thing back together
[*]replace grille inbetween headlamps.
[*]Stand back and admire new sporty grille
[*]Take out for a road test to ensure that the upgrade works as expected

[*]Take some photos to stick on Saabscene
[/list]
Expect the entire procedure to take four hours including a lunchbreak and two cup of tea breaks. It really does take a long time to get the existing fins removed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I asked the dealer to prep and spray mine matt black to match the car, but keep the fins as they are ie. make the grille look like black plastic, apart from the chrome SAAB in the middle, of course. Call me mad, but I love the look.

But 4 weeks later, the matt black is coming off with stonechips and it seems there is still a lot of chrome underneath. Which looks poo. I suppose the garage did a Friday afternoon job on it.

I can't be bothered leaving the car with them again and driving all the way back up there to get it re-done, so I was wondering if there's anything with a matt black finish that I can apply to the grille that will resist stonechips. I was thinking hammerite-like in terms of endurance, but without the crackly finish. Dipping it in molten black plastic would do the job, but that's not really practical is it?

Any ideas welcome

·
Registered
464 Posts
i would've thought the grille would need 'keying' with a bit of 1200 wet/dry or similar b4 spraying, the peeps that do hammerite make a product called smoothrite which has all the same properties but isn't crackly but is a glossier finish..i dont think you'll avoid stone chips as my grille is finished the same colour as the car, clear laquered too and still suffers..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts