Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car seems to keep me amused with it's strange lighting system behaviour. I still haven't sorted the rear fog , see - http://www.saabscene.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb....ic;f=2;t=002364

& now I have a head scratcher with the front fogs.

When I got the car in January it's a 2.3lpt 1996, the left front fog light didn't work so I thought no bother, I'll just pop a new bulb in. That was until I looked and saw that I had to drop the skirt off the bottom of the front spoiler & of course all the nuts were seized. So I couldn't be chewed & left it alone. I was parked infront of a large glass window shortly after that and , as you do, was flashing away at my self with the headlights- dip,full,dip,full, oh what fun . Then with all the light switches off I pressed the front fog switch & to my surprise I got dipped beam plus the working front fog, just on the press of the one switch. What a great idea I thought, at least that stops folks drving around and annoying everyone by just running front fogs.

But now, by some strange rattle of its filament, the left fog is working - but,here's the strange bit,the fog switch now just operates the fogs lights,not the full lighting system.
very, very

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Further to the above - It would seem that the front fogs only switch the whole lighting system on if the parking/sidelighta are already switched on -- and now my left fog light now doesn't work again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I finally replaced my fog light bulb, it was clear that excessive corrosion was the reason for its intermittent behaviour before it finally blew. I guess the low position below the bumper means that it is constantly bombarded by water, grit etc. Not that it rains much in Scotland you understand

On my 93 the front fog switch only adds adds the fog lights to side lights or dipped beam, the rear fog light is designed to only function with dipped beam. Maybe there has been a change for later models to activate dipped beam as a minimum when front fog lights are on. In any case I doubt that it is connected with your intermittent light - you have to bite the bullet and get in under that plastic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.