Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattle from the front end that my local dealer has failed to find yet. Under warranty they have fitted anti roll bar bushes, track rod ends, replaced a broken spring. Even on smooth tarmac the rattle can be heard.Eventually they are going to say they can't do anymore. Would anyone have a suggestion i can give them that might cure this persistent rattle.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Only ONE rattle !!! Can you give us a bit more info as rattles on the 93 are pretty prolific to be honest. Does it rattle at any particular time...is it better when the cabin is warm/cold? Whats the car doing when you hear the rattle, road surface,gear and speed,turning left/right,right/left,does the rattle seem to be from the right side/left side/central.
Have you checked under the car for any road debri...seriously, I dragged someones broken handbrake cable round for an hour not that long ago !! Check the flexi pipe on the exhaust and make sure thats secure. That can be a source. If you can, take a video/recording of the rattle and post it on You Tube.... that could help others identify it.

I may be telling my Grandma how to suck eggs here, but.... If I have a rattle to cure (and I've had a few) the best thing to do at the 'off' is to strip the car of anything and everything that didn't come as standard. EMPTY every space,nook and cranny.... strip the glovebox,ashtray,door pockets,dash, centre console and the boot of absolutley everything. The car has to be raw ! Not one item has to be in the car when searching for rattles apart from what it left the factory with.

In my opinion the biggest culprit for rattles in the 93 are the doors. There is even an article in the WIS (Workshop Information System) about the door cards causing rattles and squeeks.... saabs answer is to apply a layer of self adhesive felt to the edge of the door card !! Simple isn't it.....so why didn't they just apply it at the factory ! But as with most problems with cars..the dealer gets the..' If the customer complains'....so if you are the first owner and you don't complain then the guy who buys it 2nd hand ....because he really does want one, has to try and sort the problems out.

I'm on a bit of a roll now because the time with my Saab may be coming to an end ....then again ...may be not !

I've had her for 3 months shy of 5 years...plenty of time to get to know someone !!

The door cards don't pose a massive problem..what does cause the problems on the earlier cars (pre 2006) is the fact that the rubbers around the windows and the door frames aren't flocked !!

What does 'flocked' mean ?... I didn't have a clue either before I bought my 93..... Well, its pretty simple to be honest. Go and check out your neighbours Kia,Ford or Vauxhall and check out the mating surfaces between the door glass and the 'rubber' door insert seals. Most cars have a felt like surface on the seal where the glass is in contact with it. That is 'Flocked'.

When the seals are just rubber and the glass sits against it ... that can cause what sounds like rattles. The rubbers go very dry and when the glass is dry the two rubbing together causes 'rattles'.
BMW have had the same problems...it's all to do with the body flexing... try googling.. 'gumiphledge' thats the answer BMW came up with !

I have a 2003 Aero and all my door frames and window frames are 'flocked' in a fashion (self adhesive felt) and the difference is night and day.

I digress... if the OP can be a little bit more specific I'l try and shed some light if I can....

P.S. Have you tried Rattle Buster .... Google it !!

Just to add... I love my Saab 93 Aero Bsr'd and Koni FSD with Hirsch springs....... what the hell do you follow it with ?????

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
Hello what model Saab do you have ? Age , mileage etc .
Is it suspension rattle , steering rattle ? Exhaust rattle ? Trim rattle?
If it's suspension, how long gave you had it ? Have you any history of front suspension replacement? . The weak points on thease are drop links , springs made of molten cheese .
Top suspension mounts struts wearing, they may seem effective, but due to the weight of the engine they become lazy over time .
A bit more information would help .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts