Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently purchased Saab 9000 CS with 145000 kms on the clock has the typical signs of worn front control arm bushes as the steering is not real sharp and direct and I get occasional 'clonks' when going over undulations.

I intend to at least replace the rear bushes and need advice on the type of bushes I should use.

My main consideration is quietness and smoothness ahead of performance and I fear fitting polyurethane bushes in case they are too harsh.

Then there is the ant-roll bars. Would replacement polyurethane bushes affect the quiteness and ride if they were fitted to the anti-roll bars.

I would like to hear the opinions from members who have experience in this area.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have just bought the Powerflex front arm, rear bushes instead of the Superflex ones. They are noticably less plasticy feeling and I expect them to be less harsh than superflex.
They are also easy to fit, being of the split type, although they are twice the price...
Note: Powerflex = purple split type and are the same as the Abbott ones without the outer casing.
Superflex = red and need a press fit into casing.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
sorry - didnt answer all your question.

Anti-roll bars: Definitely get rear ARB bushes in poly to remove a bit of understeer and I suggest you just replace the front ARB bushes with fresh standard rubber as :
1) Poly will return the understeer to where it started
2) Front ARB poly known to be potentially harsh.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
New rubber wishbone bushes will make all the difference in the world. I wouldn't recommend using poly replacements if you're worried about harshness. I'm willing to bet much of the claimed improvement in fitting poly wishbone bushes is down to the fact that you're replacing worn rubber ones.

I tried an experiment I've rarely (never?) seen tried elsewhere - I replaced the bushes on my Aero with new rubber ones, then shortly afterwards replaced them with Superflex bushes (I did this so I could rework the brackets without having the car off the road). I noticed a huge improvement in handling after fitting the new rubber bushes. I thought I noticed an improvement in handling going from rubber to poly. But if it were really that big a difference, I'd have known for certain...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
On the other hand you could turn this around and say if there's not that much difference in ride/harshness, then you may as well fit poly because the split type are easier to fit than rubber, and they last longer

That ignores the price of course

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I've had poly on most of the bushes at the front of my 9000, and I'd say the ones that really do make things harsh, more so than the rest, are the drop link bushes.

I've gone back to rubber on these and the ARB as I'm now on 18" wheels.

If your wheels are 16" or less, you shouldn't have a problem with harshness.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by JohnCC:
[qb]you may as well fit poly because the split type are easier to fit than rubber[/qb][/b]
I wouldn't agree with that. The rubber ones come with the metal bracket and removing/replacing 4 bolts and a nut sees the old one off and the new one on. If you use poly then most of them require removing the rubber from the brackets and re-using them, which is a bit of a job. At the very best, you can now get poly bushes ready-fitted into brackets (even more expensive, though). These are as easy to fit as the rubber ones, but no easier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As my car has standard rate springs and conventional wheels and tyres I went ahead and purchased a kit of poly bushes for the car. Apart from the ARB bushes the bushes came in one piece and I had to get them professionally pressed in after I removed the old bushes.

If I was doing the job over again I would buy the rear control arm bush already installed into a new bracket and I wouldn't bother replacing the front bush which in my car looked perfect. That way the job would have been done quickly without the hastles I went through.

Never-the-less with poly bushes front and rear and poly ARB bushes installed I am pleased with the result and I have not noticed any deterioration in noise or in the smoothness of ride.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Just fitted Superflex Poly bushes on my 98 Anniversary (19mm) ARB's and also drop link bushes.

With one day of driving between rear ARB and front ARB upgrade, I didn't notice any significant improvement in understeer.

Having done both ARB's, the lack of roll (on standard 195/65/15 tyres) is significantly improved, and no harshness noted at all. In fact, I'm not sure what folks mean by 'harshness' - although, it seems from above thread that this only occurs on Alloys larger than 16inch.

So, I can definately recommend poly bushes on both ARB's, and no complaint with drop link poly bush replacement.
Might as well replace them if doing front ARB (whether with std rubber units or polyurethane) as the lower rubber unit has to come off to do the ARB anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.