Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have.

I fitted the front SAS ARB about 2 months ago during the refit of the front of my car (post Anglesey....).

I have to say that it really has stiffened up the front, very little roll, much firmer suspension.

Dowen side is it has made the car more understeery from it's previous oversteery (quick turn in) Rear SAS ARB only state.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have the rear one only - very good indeed. Removes understeer, much reduced roll, great turn in and haven't felt one bit of messy oversteer. It's still elss twitchy than the 306 Dturbo I had so nothing silly there. Not having driven a car with the front SAS, I would wager that things may get pretty harsh?? Roll must be very low though.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Less roll is indeed a nice thing but if you really want the best handling, a softer bar up front is the way to go. Reason is, as some others have stated, you will get more understeer with a stiffer bar in the front. A softer bar up front will let the weight lean onto the front outside tire so it can get a good bite and get through the corner. Some people even go as far as to removing thier front bars.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Originally posted by Eric (9-3 Hirsch):
[qb]  Some people even go as far as to removing thier front bars. [/qb][/b]
Only on c900's AFAIK. Most came without anti roll bars anyways. Would presumably be madness to do so on the later (weightier, more softly sprung and McPherson-strut equipped) cars...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I tried taking the front ARB off my 9000, which is fitted with he Abbott piggy back rear ARB.

I put it back soon afterwards. It was all a bit too scary for me.

Yes, it removed a lot of harshness (so by default I guess a stiffer one would add harshness) and up to a point it gave a slight increase in tractability. However in hard corners it all tended to go a bit over roll very quickly, and quite difficult to control.

I've not had any problems with oversteer, and the car is very well balanced now. If you power through the corners (limited slip diff) you can get a useful amount of oversteer

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, think I will start with rear bar and see how I get on with that.

Are you able to buy the front bar seperately as I have only seen it as a kit with the rear bar?

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
both SAS or Elk supply as both or rear. If you were determined enough to only fit the front then Elk may be happy to split a set as they can sell the rear much more easily. As long as you dont have too much power, you might make it round some corners too

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by Eric van Spelde:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb]   Some people even go as far as to removing thier front bars. [/qb][/b]
Only on c900's AFAIK. Most came without anti roll bars anyways. Would presumably be madness to do so on the later (weightier, more softly sprung and McPherson-strut equipped) cars... [/qb][/b][/quote]I agree, Eric. I was just mentioning that some people with some cars have removed the front bars. Usually they do it for tight track work, such as SCCA Solo II to get good bite on initial turn in.

I do know also, that Hirsch leaves the rear bar alone and installs a softer bar in front.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
AFAIK Saab went the same way with the Viggen (front bar - 1 mm) which in itself made sense. The stiffer the anti-roll bar, the less lateral grip you have on this axle (of course you have to balance this with the effects of not making full use of the tyre footprint when the car rolls too much and the wheel sits on the tarmac at some crazy camber angle). Traction in itself wasn't so much the problem with that car - it was insufficient wheel and steering rack location.

I think the point here is, that the c900 set up was originally designed without anti-roll bars and handled well in stock Turbo form - so removing the front bar or just adding the rear one isn't so far fetched as long as you're comfortable with the change in fore-aft balance. I do think the later cars did rely on anti-roll bars as an integral part of the suspension design (were there any 9000/NG900/9-3 models without them? I'm not sure but I would think not).

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Originally posted by Eric van Spelde:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb]   Some people even go as far as to removing thier front bars. [/qb][/b]
Only on c900's AFAIK. Most came without anti roll bars anyways. Would presumably be madness to do so on the later (weightier, more softly sprung and McPherson-strut equipped) cars... [/qb][/b][/quote]I know not many of you are interested in these old things that excite me but...this practice seems to be more prevalent on double wishbone-suspended cars than Strut, as it's generally considered a Good Thing (but still very subjective) to remove the front ARB off early V4s. The later ones came without as standard. Less understeer and less inclination to lift the inside tyre off the road in tight corners. You learn to live with cornering on the door handles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Fliptop (V4man):
I know not many of you are interested in these old things that excite me but...this practice seems to be more prevalent on double wishbone-suspended cars than Strut, as it's generally considered a Good Thing (but still very subjective) to remove the front ARB off early V4s.  The later ones came without as standard.  Less understeer and less inclination to lift the inside tyre off the road in tight corners.  You learn to live with cornering on the door handles      [/QB][/b]
I agree that leaving the front bar off is a Good Thing (for some cars). However, an even Better Thing would be to take up the slack with stiffer springs; body roll *will* increase. I have driven both with the bar and without. Currently, on one car, I will be removing the front bar, measuring its rate, and adding that to my next set of front springs. In my opinion, SPG springs are not stiff enough to manage satisfactorily manage roll without a bar (well, I don't think they're stiff enough period ).

In my experienced--mostly limited to c90T's--the problem is too much torque. Anything that can be done to mitigate wheelspin ought to be.

One of my biggest disappointments with the Saab aftermarket is that there are no limited slips available. If ever a car needed one, it's the 900 Turbo. I would gladly pay US$1200 for a limited slip before shelling out for other mods, e.g., turbo, intercooler, and various other knick-knacks...

PS Some FWD cars handle better with stiffer front bar; you need to go on a case-by-case basis...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts