Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question.....
will a 3 bar FPR (off a B235R) fit straight on to a B202 fuel rail?
looking at getting a 2nd hand FPR off a 9-5 aero and wondering what performance increase i may get from it (of course i am waiting for the funding for a fuel chip... would that be a better investment now and a new FPR later???)
looking for more torque and
out of my '87 9000T

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
An upgraded FPR does not make power. It adds margin of safety.

Basically the FPR will only give you added performance if you're running too-lean ... in which case you will run richer with the 3.0 bar FPR, and shouldn't detonate.

But ... a better investment is a fuel chip, and a set of high flow injectors.

Better investment still (though far far more expensive) might be a stand alone engine management. But this is a topic for people seeking 300+ hp.

The stock B202 injectors I believe are good to around 200 bhp. Until you cross that line, an upgraded FPR could make your engine run too rich, and harm performance.

It's just a bandaid fix, and there are better solutions, and better ways to make power. Though running rich is better than blowing your engine to bits (detonation at 200+ hp).

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats basically what i was looking for.
I am getting detonation at 15psi at the moment, and i am running retarded ignition timing (around 14 deg advance, instead of the 16 that is standard). i am hoping that a higher FPR would give less chance of knock at the higher boost levels, and also allow me to advance the timing up a bit so as to get the power back to where it is supposed to be.

i know that i can hold 15 psi to the redline if i have the timing retarded to 10 degs, but the car feels sluggish at that timing.

btw.. anyone know what the stock peak boost is for this car? i remember getting 12 PSI once (before i tweaked the apc) and was pretty happy..

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question..

my car has the Bosche Jetronic LH 2.2 with catalyst.... will a fuel chip still work with this, as the O2 sensor will adjust the mixture back if it is richer????

does the fuel chip do more than just giving more fuel?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Originally posted by Grentarc:
[qb]Another question..

my car has the Bosche Jetronic LH 2.2 with catalyst....   will a fuel chip still work with this, as the O2 sensor will adjust the mixture back if it is richer????

does the fuel chip do more than just giving more fuel?    [/qb][/b]
The fuel chip allows you tu use much larger injectors.

Also, your O2 sensor is not used by your ECU when you're at full throttle. It only controlls a/f ratio when you're cruising.

With a catalyst you need to be especially carefull about running too rich. Too much unburnt fuel can damage it, though it's unusual for this to occur.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
17 Posts
HOw about a Rising rate FPR. Anyone have experiances running one? I have a good deal on a cartech FMU presenting itself to me. Anybody set one up on a b235R?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts