Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU BRING VALID DRIVING LICENCE WITH YOU

07.30 Gates open and signing on begins
08.15 Briefing. This is essential. If you do not attend briefing you will not be permitted onto the track
09.00 Morning sessions start
12.30 break for lunch

13.30 Afternoon sessions start
17.00 Afternoon sessions end
17.30-18.00 onwards, BBQ and Bar.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Guess I will be leaving a bit earlier then!
I presume a photocard driving licence is acceptable?

Are there are plans for lunch, or is it a jolly old basket of wholesome treats?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Originally posted by Dulux:
[qb]Are there are plans for lunch, or is it a jolly old basket of wholesome treats? [/qb][/b]
I'm hoping for a selection of dead beasts served in a bun, on a bed of ketchup

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[qb]Are there are plans for lunch, or is it a jolly old basket of wholesome treats? [/qb][/b]
The circuit has a cafe that serves quite nice hot food. There is also a food wagon near the pits that usually serves food all day. Some people prefer to go to the Flying Club cafe at lunch time - they serve freshly made sandwiches and rolls and the like.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[qb]I presume a photocard driving licence is acceptable? [/qb][/b]
Don't presume anything. Bring the paper supplement aswell to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by JezmondTutu:
[qb]Presumably, passengers don't need to be around for the briefing? [/qb][/b]
I believe that's correct, although they will need to sign an indemnity form before going out on the circuit so if you have any passengers it would make sense to do their paperwork at the same time as the driver's (which must happen before the briefing).

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I didn't have to attend the briefing for the Elvington day last year as a passenger, just signed on, however according to Goodwood's rules all drivers, riders & passengers ("participants") must attend a safety briefing before taking to the circuit. All participants must follow these rules and complete the declaration and agreement .

I guess you may be able to sign-on as a passenger later in the day but from the above I'm not sure?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I stand corrected.
It looks like Goodwood have changed how they do things. I can see the point, though.

I know they often have a later safety briefing for people that miss the earlier one but you won't be allowed to go on the track until you've attended a briefing.

Best thing to do is make sure anyone who might be a passenger or driver gets signed on and briefed at the start of the day.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I know it’s non-competitive trackday and not a race or sprint meeting
But I hope a few people trackside will be looking at their watches and recording some lap data

I’ll be interested to how many/if any of the guys with modified cars can beat the magic 100 sec mark for a Goodwood lap.

I never managed that in the Sunbeam-Lotus at Gooders as being a fast circuit, having a brilliant chassis didn't make up for having a mere 170hp

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Reason for asking is that my mate, who was to bring one of my cars, has to drop his kids off at school before he heads over from Brighton. This probably means that he won't be coming.

Have to say, last year, passengers did not have to be there for the briefing and its a real pity as it means that we won't be able to take people for lifts round the circuit unless they also get up at the crack of dawn.

I'd be very grateful if one of the organisers can confirm either way.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will ask the instructors to give a second briefing later in the day so that your friend and others can participate. He can still come along.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just spoken with the chief-instructor from Goodwood. This is the definitive answer:

All drivers and passengers must attend the safety briefing and sign an indemnity form before being permitted into pitlane and onto circuit.

The instructors are more than happy to arrange an additional safety briefing for those who miss the briefing in the morning.

Please note, you will still not be allowed onto the track until you have attended a briefing.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]But I hope a few people trackside will be looking at their watches and recording some lap data          [/qb][/b]
Indeed it is not a race or sprint meeting. At every track day I've attended recently, with the exception of Anglesey where they somehow manage to operate track days rather like racing events, timing is expressly forbidden and anyone caught timing you will be spoken with. If they persist and it is deemed they are doing it on your behalf, then you will be pulled off the circuit. The same goes for timing from within the car.

It is usually a specific condition of the organiser's track day insurance that there be no timing or other competitive element. I don't see how it can be stopped altogether to be honest, but it is worth being aware that they will take it very seriously as any form of timing invalidates their insurance.

In-car video appears to be acceptable, though. Presumably because it is less likely that people will be able to compare times extracted from video footage until after the event.

I was once timed at 95 seconds around Goodwood in the Aero but my in-car video had run out of tape so I couldn't verify it and I assumed there must have been a mistake. The best I've timed is 105.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
A note on in-car video:

It is allowed but cameras must be firmly fixed in place. A passenger hand-holding the camera is definitely not allowed.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well we shall see if i can get under the magic 100 second barrier in the 1.6Cl Mk3 Golf im bringing along for the day
Iirc i did a 106 or thereabouts on my first session ever at Gooders in the 900 and that was with severely reduced boost (base) due to suffering rod knock from oil starvation

Well see how i get on against the Saabs

Pete.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts