Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you please tell me the offset of the wheel and the wheel width you run. I have contacted Abbot about it (since they sell 17" wheels for the 9000) but refuse to give out that information.
From Giles Fairweather @ Abbott Racing Motorsport

Unfortunately I am unable to offer this information.  We spent years developing the right offset and J.[/b]
I don't like that kind of attitude as I'm in the States and not going to order from an over-priced, over-seas tuner anyway. Whats with not sharing the information which can only better the folks in the saab world in the end.

So if anyone has that information, please pass it along.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Not aimed at Schu, but reminds me to remind all members not to quote or post private email, that they have received from other companies or individuals, in this public forum.

You must get the permission of the sender before you may quote verbatim what they have said.

many thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, didn't know any better. I can't seem to edit it to take that quote section out but feel free to do so if you'd like.

Again, anyone with info on fitting 17" wheels please respond. I know you're out there.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Stock offset is 27 mm for the Aero wheel. To keep the inside of the wheel in the same spot relative to the suspension, the offset for a 7" wheel should be 21 mm and for a 7.5", should be 15mm. This'll put all the extra "'s at the outside, so now the issue is wheel well clearance and new stress points at the wheel bearings. I've considered a company that makes a wider 16"x7", here in the 'states, that looks very similar to the Minilites. I like them, not only for their looks, but because they are lighter than the stock Aero wheels. IIRC, the offset on those are 25 mm and the same wheel can also be used on certain Alfas....HTH

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Just checked mine (pretty easy as they're not fitted yet). They're marked "7.5Jx17" and "25", which I assume means a 25mm offset. They're going on a 9000 Aero and before being refurbished were on a 9000 CS. I intend to run 215s on them as the previous owner did with no problems. No idea whether they'd fit a pre-CS car.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I doubt Abbott "spent years" developing the offset and J. Speak to Trent Saab in the UK, who supplied my 17s originally. They're very helpful and will likely understand that there isn't a potential sale to lose by telling you what to buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]Just checked mine (pretty easy as they're not fitted yet). They're marked "7.5Jx17" and "25", which I assume means a 25mm offset. They're going on a 9000 Aero and before being refurbished were on a 9000 CS. I intend to run 215s on them as the previous owner did with no problems. No idea whether they'd fit a pre-CS car. [/qb][/b]
The old 17x7.5's 5-spokes Trent sold were fitted to all 9000's and also on post MY 88 c900's. It's a case of selecting the right tyre to prevent rubbing.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The correct offset for any wheel size can easily be calculated if you know the original wheel/offset size. For every unit distance you increase the wheel size above standard, you should knock half that amount off the offset.

eg if you go from say 6.5" to 7.5" and the offset was 37mm, then the correct new offset is approx 25mm (sorry for the mixed units
)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.