Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm going to look at a car advertised as an Aero tomorrow morning, and am after foolproof ways to tell its a proper Aero. It's an auto if that makes any difference.

I'm thinking - check for 16" alloys, the Aero seats (with the stripy bits), but then run out of ideas! Would there be anything on the logbook or paperwork I could look at?

The car is either a 93 or 94, black with sand beige interior.

Thanks, James

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Yep,

If the 8th is a R and the 10th is a P through V then it is an Aero.

If the 8th is a R and the 10th is a W then it's a 225bhp Anniversary.

If the 8th is a R and the 10th is anything else (on a 9000) then run away as it didn't exist.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Also...

If it is a 1993 (10th Vin character of P), then be warned that the engine, gearbox and Ecu's are not compatible ithe any Aero's from 1994 onwards.

The 1993 Aero has more in common with the 2.3Turbo's of 1991 to 1993, it just goes and handles like the 1994 on models.

Andrew

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brilliant! Exactly what I was looking for - you can't really argue with the VIN of the car, can you? Although I was just thinking does this still apply given that the car is an Auto? Is that still a B234R engine code?

Thanks chaps!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I think the R designation may not apply as auto Aeros were limited to 200hp, so the 8th digit could be an M, but I'm not sure

Other than that, at the back the RHS boot badge should say "9000 Aero". It's unlikely anyone would have changed this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update - thanks to the help on here, I was able to confirm that the car I looked at WASN'T an Aero, as the guy had advertised. It was a 9000 CSE 2.3t Auto. It was, however, a great car, so I bought it anyway (at a substantial discount)!

Thanks chaps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.