Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Are foglights referred to as something else on that side of the pond? I'm talking about the lights mounted low in the front bumper that only operate with the low (dipped) beams, just to clear up any possible confusion.)

I realized a few days ago that the drivers' side foglight was out. I assumed it was the bulb, and put it on my to-do list. I usually leave the foglights switched on (I like the extra light to the road). Since the one light was out, I turned off the foglights.

Then I went to check the lights again. When I press the foglight button, I hear a click from the relay panel behind the glovebox. The working (pass. side) foglight comes on, but when I release the button, it does not stay on, nor does the switch stay illuminated. I do not remember if the switch has a hard detente (i.e. it clicks into place), or if it's a soft switch. Of course, the drivers' side fog does not come on at all.

Is this expected behavior when one foglight is out? Or should I be looking elsewhere for a problem. I have not purchased the replacement bulbs yet, mainly since I know the nuts on the drivers' side underpanel are frozen, so I'll have do to some work to get that panel off so I can access the foglights.

Thanks,

mike

1993 9000 CDE, n/a auto
150,000 miles (just hit this 2 days ago!)

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The foglights are the same in the UK, but they can be independent of the dipped beams. Also here, you are not allowed to use any lamp mounted below 2 feet from the ground unless there is fog or falling snow.

I don't think your switch is right, but I haven't got a 9000, so I can't check.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The 9000 Fog switch is a hard switch i.e on or off (not like the Rearwash wipe or rear demist switches).

The switch does change in intesity (bright, dim, off) depending on foglights being on and illuminated, being off (but you could find the switch in the dark ) or switched on and not currently powered (i.e your on mainbeam).

It sounds like you switch is not working or sticky. I had one switch do the same on my Aero (the rear fog switch).

Also, in this country it is illegal to use front fog lamps unless visibility is reduced to under 100yds. This is because these lamps are mounted low and have poor cutoff which likely (does!!) dazzle oncoming traffic. Over here is is considered very antisocial. Where you live the laws may be different.

I believe that we may have better standard headlamps that a lot of american Saab's (or at least the older ones)

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Just another thought...

Being a CDE, the fogs will be the Hella rectangular ones, which come out from the front with the 2 phillips/pozidrive screws either side of the lens.

remove the 2 screws with their ploastic noggin to hold the lens covers, remove the plastic surround and ease the lens out.

Easy to change...

Andrew
Andrew

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I guess I do have 2 problems here. Well, at least with the car...

Anyways, I do not believe it's illegal to drive with the fogs on in this state. And yes, the European spec (E-Code) headlights are brighter (either more wattage or better reflectors) than those in the US.

Scaero, thanks for the info on the lenses. I had seen the screws on the outside, but had not investigated further to see if I could change the bulb through there. Sounds like I can. I'll be thrilled if I don't have to deal with those underpanels...

I'll start out replacing the bulbs, then go on to the switch if I need to. Any thoughts on repairing the switch? No soldering please. I'm a software guy, not a sparky (electrical engineer).

Thanks again all,

mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that worked well. I just popped up to eBay, and found a foglight switch for $10, and the auction was closing in 3 minutes. I now have a replacement switch coming whether I need it or not!

mike

·
Registered
226 Posts
on both my 9000's, 96 & 97 models the front fog light switch has a push on/push off. The rear fog light switch (do you have these State Side?) however is a push on/push off on the 96 car, but is a soft switch on the 97 car with automatic cancellation when you turn the headlamps off.
I know I've drifted off subject a bit here, but it's interesting that they bothered to alter the cars wiring and associated circuitry so near the end of its production, unless for new regulations?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
A dose of WD40 or Switch clean will usually cure the switch problem,taking it out of the dash is the best way of doing it and although I remember it being easy,I can't remember how I did it,aint age a wonderfull thing

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've got the bulbs replaced. Scaero was absolutely correct - remove the 2 screws and the retaining ring, and rock the lens to get it free of the housing. One spring holder and an electrical spade connector later, one new working bulb!

On the down side, the switch is still not behaving correctly. Pressing it now lights both fogs, but it does not stay depressed or illuminated brightly. Looks like that eBay move was a good one.

Thanks again to all for the help,

mike

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
ISTR that on my '91 9000 they are referred to as driving lamps (ie auxilliary lights as opposed to fog). Mine are switched to come on on main beam only, and I leave the switch on all the time. So main beam means plenty of illumination, and on dipped I'm not dazzling anyone.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by Bunsen 248 (Gassy got lit up):
[qb]ISTR that on my '91 9000 they are referred to as driving lamps (ie auxilliary lights as opposed to fog). Mine are switched to come on on main beam only, and I leave the switch on all the time. So main beam means plenty of illumination, and on dipped I'm not dazzling anyone. [/qb][/b]
Different models got different lamps.

All Carlssons got Driving lamps.
CD's got a mix of either driving or fog (owner or model choice?)
I've not seen many non CD 9000's to have them unless body kitted.

Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.