Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Chucktv, You may have tried this already in which case ignore.
If you remove the valve cover and turn the engine so that No1 cylinder is at TDC the dots on the cam chain wheels should line up with the arrows on the adjacent camshaft bearing block. If there is a TDC mark on the flywheel it should now be seen through the window in the clutch cover. I don't know if that helps though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
On an '89 B202, the timing marks are on the flywheel just a bit to the left (ie anticlockwise) of the raised pin.

There is a raised plastic moulded line on the casing which should line up with the 0 degree mark.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers gentlemen. I was trying to avoid removing the valve cover but I guess I should, at least so I can mark the 0 degree more visibly. I did mark the pin to see what would happen and I noticed as I rotated the distributor that the timing was far better to the left of the pin as you say Dave. So out of curiosity what purpose does the pin have?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't know what the pin is for. On the 1994 car in the Haynes manual, the pin is in line with a mark on the flywheel, which is TDC.

On my '89, the pin is there but there is no mark and the 0 degree mark is to the left.

Mind you, the whole engine is full of odd drillings and holes which have no purpose now. Maybe the pin is a left-over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.