Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Have you checked your engine oil level?
(**Obviously, don't drive it until you are sure there is oil in the engine - 20 seconds with the lamp on would mean a nackered engine**)

If OK, could be faulty connector or oil level sensor.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to the board, Carlsson.
When you say "flashing", do you mean a regular flashing such as you'd expect to see with the indicators, or is it more of a flicker? Does it do this with the engine stopped or running or both?

I agree with Paul D - don't drive it if you can help it until you find out what is going on. Depending on how exactly it is behaving, it could indeed be a faulty sensor, worn oil pump, oil pressure relief valve or a few other things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the prompt replies! The oil level is fine, just at maximum. The oil light flickers in sync with engine at idle, and goes out above about 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Four things to try, in order of simplicity:

1. Fit a new oil pressure light sender.

2. Remove the oil pressure relief valve (sorry, never seen it, but I believe it's on the timing cover - do you have a Haynes manual?). Clean the spring and take some fine emery paper to the valve itself to clean it up.

3. Take off the sump and clean the strainer on the oil pickup.

4. Replace the oil pump.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Carlsson,
Do you get tappet noise for a minute or so after starting the car from cold, which then disapears and doesn't happen when engine is warm?

If so, this , together with yor other observation indicates low oil pressure. Not a serious problem until oil light starts to stay on for longer and longer intervals.

This could be caused by any of Billj's points 2,3 and especially 4, considering the mileage of your car.

Points 2, and 3 most likely if the engine has suffered from black sludge build up. If dip stick is clean, then not so likely, but if it has a black dirty oil coating, then much more likely. As no oil filler on rocker cover it's not so easy to check black sludge build up otherwise.

·
Registered
865 Posts
agree with bill on this one,remove oil pressure relief valve/17mm nut just to the right and at bottom end of oil pump.when you remove nut a spring and alloy sleeve will be in the opening.if sleeve is scored,replace it. i had same problem with my saab caused by flushing the engine and releasing all the [expletive deleted] into oilways.if the light comes on DO NOT DRIVE CAR AS NO OIL IS GETTING TO TOP END.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts