Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi 9000 auto aero 12000 on a k plate, just had arecon turbo put on to replace the knackered one.

All seems fine, car pulls like a dream and goes well apart from a noise (like a tinny clanging) that comes on high revs. nothing during idle or low revs/normal running until auto gets to the point it wants to change up/ or kickdown.

any ideas? anyone? im getting so peaved with this car now its unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
from a noise (like a tinny clanging)  [/b]
Not wanting to be a bearer of bad news here, but for piece of mind would take the air intake off the turbo and check for end float on the shaft as I had a re con turbo fitted once and after only 700 miles the thrust bearing had failed and the turbo blades where scrapping against the casing giving a similar noise to what you have described.
Its a 5 minute job to do but will ensure its not the turbo.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Who supplied the re-con turbo? (I wonder if an Aircon turbo works better with the heater fan turned up! )

Turbo's require carefull balancing, which requires a device capable of spinning them up to 100,000 rpm.

Worth checking.. just in case someone sold you a bodged unit, etc... and you need to get your money back - If it's a half decent recon merchant, part should have a warranty at any rate.

·
Banned
693 Posts
I'll third Bronco's opinion.....

You can get it cheaper (search the forum - IIRC, someone had obtained the turbo core {central casting with turbine and impeller fitted} very cheaply), but if you go with Turbo Technics you can be pretty certain it'll be up to snuff and work straight out of the box.

BOF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Christmas looming, I had to make a decision before having a chance to get to your recommendations. I hope I have not made a mistake. I placed an order with CR Turbos,for a replacement unit. They assured me I will receive it tomorrow (Christmas Eve) but I will report back on how I get on.
Providing it arrives it should be a nice little job to relieve the boredom post Christmas and Pre New Year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.