Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I seem to be working through various suspension components trying to sort out a vaguness around the centre line and a tendancy to weave on uneven surfaces and in high winds. The car is a 1993 aero and so far it has poly rear wishbone bushes and poly steering rack bushes. The rear wishbone bushes didn't seem to make any difference, but the rack bushes did seem to improve things soem what...but definitely still not what it should be. My options seem to be:

1. replace the front wishbone bushes
2. replace the ARB drop links (probalby for rubber..I'm just thinking that one may be softer than the other as one is newer than the other and so may pull to one side when riding bumps)
3. New shocks and springs (the rear driver side of the car does seem to sit lower than the other???)
4. Something else

I seem to be doing OK getting old rubber bushes out (transmission mount, engine torque arm mounts, rear wishbone, steering rack), mainly thanks to the excellent advice of this forum and also BillJ's great site, so I thought I'd do the front wishbone bushes next, and I was just wondering....

Do I have to cut the rubber off the old centre support of the old front wishbone mounts and push the new poly (superflex) mounts onto the old shaft? Or do they come with a new centre shaft?

Also, am I going to notice a big increase in cabin vibration/noise?

And finally (sorry, I am going on a bit)...am I barking up the wrong tree and really need to be looking at soemthing else as the likely cause?

Many, many thanks for an advice
Kev

·
Registered
213 Posts
There are some piccy's of when we did our track car wishbone bushes.

http://www.norseperformance.com/imagesbushes.htm

We all drive saab 9000's, ranging from a 1994 aero to a 1995 stg 3 9000 CSE, and have all had this bush changed, it is almost a must have for the 9000, my own car came with them fitted to it so I am unable to give an accurate account of actual difference with the uprated bush fitted.
I have recently changed both the gearbox (for poly) bush and the engine upper torque arm bush (for standard) both these made an amazing difference. I had a lot of engine movement and was struggling sometimes to get 5th gear, the box did not enjoy a quicker gear change either!
After fitting the bushes the gearbox is much better, gear change is more positive, and there is much less movement from the engine. I chose to fit standard parts on the torque mount down to advice from people and I did not want to increase any more vibration into the cabin as I already have many suspension modifications fitted.

hope this is some use?

Dulux
Norse Performance

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dulux
I could see pictures of the wishbone rear bush on your link, but not the front ones. Have you done both?

Re: poly engine torque arm mounts...I've fitted poly ones and they definitley cause a far bit of vibration, and the gearbox poly mount added a little more, but not much.

Kev

·
Registered
213 Posts
We have only changed the rear, at present.
Hopefully the idea of the project in part is to provide some sort of idea on what each modification does for the car, but two problems on this front at the moment, haven't driven the car in anger yet, some of these mods when fitted with other more major modifications eg dampers/springs etc become less distinctive.
I am currently looking forward the other part of the project...... the drive at Goodwood

It will be interesting to see what changing the front wishbone bushes does?
I am surprised you noticed no difference when fitting the rear wishbone bushes? these made a noticable difference in putting down power/better control under power on the two 9000 aero's we fitted them to.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Dulux:
[qb]I am surprised you noticed no difference when fitting the rear wishbone bushes? these made a noticable difference in putting down power/better control under power on the two 9000 aero's we fitted them to. [/qb][/b]
It may be that the old rubber ones were in good condition and that what ever this sother problem is has masked the benefit I should have seen on fitting the rear polys. Hopefully when I find the culprit I shall recieve the benfit of all the mod's in one go

·
Registered
461 Posts
If nothing else, I would avoid changing anything (poly or rubber) that is not a set (ie a pair of drop links). The general impression of people is that poly is stiffer, but new rubber can be nearly as stiff (it just eases off) and on the basis that one side was shot (or why else was it replaced?) you end up with very sloppy on one side and very stiff on the other - that can't be helping.

Carl

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm..I think I'll order a pair of rubber ARB drop links and see how that goes. BTW, one was changed because it sheared off while I was fitting the rear wishbone polys.

Anyone got any idea about using the shaft out of the old wishbone front bush in the new poly top-hats? Do I just cut off the old rubber one and fit the new polys onto it?

Kev

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi, FYI I have replaced all the suspension bushes with poly ones, drop link & rear anti roll bars was easy. Front anti roll bar was a pain. need to borrow a special spanner (spanner with a universal on the end) Lower wishbone rears was not too bad, just a pain cutting oout the old rubbers. Front wishbone... awful. Had to get SAAB to remove them. Murderous to get the wishbone back on as I could not compress the bushes sufficiently to get the fixing bolts through. In the end i managed with a giant jubliee clip around the joint.. Advice from SAAB was why are you changing the fronts, we only have one in stock and thats been there for years! They don't wear. Don't bother to change them.

Overall has improved the ride a liitle (stiffened it up)However still a rolly ride

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.