Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should this take?

I've just bought some poly bushes, but DCA say these are a right pain to fit and would take 4-5 hours.

Is this reasonable? Or have I confused them about which bushes these are and they're thinking of something else?

P.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Are the poly bushes already in their aluminium housings, or do they need to be pressed into the existing housings? If the former, then you're looking at 15-20 minutes per side. If the latter, then the problem is getting the old rubber out of the housings. This can indeed be a right pain.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]Are the poly bushes already in their aluminium housings, or do they need to be pressed into the existing housings? If the former, then you're looking at 15-20 minutes per side. If the latter, then the problem is getting the old rubber out of the housings. This can indeed be a right pain. [/qb][/b]
They need to be pressed. But that didn't seem to be the problem area. Maybe I need to phone them again.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by PHudson:
[qb] Maybe I need to phone them again. [/qb][/b]
Yes, I think I confused them. I think I've unconfused them but only the eventual bill will tell

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The fitting of bushes already in the alloy butterflys only take about 10 minutes and an unusual 18mm open ended spanner per side.

Removing the old rubber and pressing in new poly bushes should take less than an hour for both.

What I did was speak to my friendly Saab dealer and they gave me 3 old deal bushes so I could remove the rubber and press in the poly at my leisure and then just fit when I got the time.

Andrew

·
Registered
368 Posts
hi
the large rear bushes aint to bad i used a press to get them out iam sure it could be done in a vice and a sockit.i then lighty heated the remains of old rubber nicey cleaned it out becos its bondid to the alloy
not to hot becos of the alloy. then cleaned up and pressed in. the small front i just used the old blow lamp got the rubber almost melting tapped the bush out then cleaned the bar up ready 4 the poly bushs.
wos not to bad. i done all mine last week BIG BIG differance to the way it drives. yer i no bad spelling sorry

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just remember to NOT tighten the nut until the car is on its wheels again otherwise the movement of the wheel will ruin yot new bushes.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, they're fitted. Some observations after 100 miles or so:

Don't ask [email protected] to fit these if the new ones you're supplying are not in their fittings. I think he feels extracting the fittings from the old bushes once in a lifetime is quite enough

The feeling is quite different, but there's a obvious tradeoff to be had: steering feels stiffer, and is now quite a lot more precise , but there is more NVH - more road noise, and the vibration has triggered some trivial but really irritating rattle somewhere in the passenger footwell area that I need to track down.

With hindsight, if the Abbott ones really do have a softer compound that the superflex ones, then I might have been better off (financially as well as in terms of the tradeoff above) getting those.

But overall, I still think it was an improvement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts