Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a nokia 3310 and a handsfree kit which I took from my Volvo also a Smartcable (autoleads I think) which fitted between the radio multiplug and connected direct to the handsfree black box enabling power and muting and loudspeaker function through front speakers.

Has anyone fitted a phone in a 9000 MY93 using this method? Also where is the most convenient location for the phone cradle in your opinion?

Deebel

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
It all boils down the the radio thats fitted - I dont think the Saab originals on the 93 have a phone mute.. if the radio has been upgraded then the radio will have the mute lead and its just a matter of tapping into the right wire on the connector block on the radio and tapping into the speaker leads for the front speakers.

The MY93 Saabs have Saabs own connectors for the audio (Later ones have standard ISO/DIN audio connectors) so what ever you do is going to involve some patching using scotchblocks or patching blocks.

I tend to leave my mobile (with just a power lead and no hands free) lying on the storage box between the seats - I can see it and a quick check it it allows me to see who is calling. I did have a bracket by the side of the radio slot but people bashed their knees on it so get rid of it.

Not sure how the proposed law change will affect the use of hands free kits - it may be worth looking at how that is going to pan out before delving behind the dashboard.

Steve

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Indeed, but you've still go to get the cable to the bracket!! I've seen it done previously by lifting the dash fascia slightly away from the surround, although you need to be careful not to crush the antenna coax.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Bubbles (fka Mark E):
[qb]Indeed, but you've still go to get the cable to the bracket!! I've seen it done previously by lifting the dash fascia slightly away from the surround, although you need to be careful not to crush the antenna coax. [/qb][/b]
Bubbles,

My cradle has a coiled cable from it which can be routed up under the dash. The phone cradle unclips from the bracket if you want to hold it to your ear for privacy (it mutes the speaker) so should be OK.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
If you want to avoid advertising that the car has a phone or you want to save time in a car wash you can use an internal aerial stuck to the inside of the windscreen.

I have used a tax disc aerial and I believe that Saabman has done the same.

There are lots around. Mine is the flexy one in the middle of this page. I have found the reception to be very good. I get more dots on the aerial strength display when the phone is in the handsfree kit than when I stand outside the car using the phone on its own. You can position the aerial on the windscreen so that the cable tucks under the screen pillar trim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.