Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
bwlee - I think the saab amp under the seat might need tech2 to mate it to the car - I would check this.

I think there are other options. Iirc, rajsaab on here upgraded his stereo, might be worth a look.

There was a company developing an optical bus reader for saab that enables full integration of third party hardware - the thread was about a year back on the other forum. Also on the other forum, there was a guy who mapped all of the speaker frequencies, so you can see that the door speakers are optimal for tapping with a line out converter. I recal he found that all of the speakers are broken/filtered in some way.

Search is your friend :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I did think AMP1 needed Tech2'ing when I started my upgrade but it burst into life without Tech2.

I had 2 projects on the go, fitting AMP1 and fitting the Saab Park Assist and planned on Tech2'ing them at the same time.

When my AMP1 worked okay, I didn't bother Tech2'ing the SPA.
I have had SPA fitted for well over a year but it has never worked as I find myself unwilling to pay these robbers money to tap a few buttons!!

I think a popular alternative is to remove the CD Player and buy a decent stereo/mp3/dvd/satnav fitted in place of the CD Player (for less than the cost of an AMP1 from Saab).

It means running a parallel system, you cannot remove the ICM and use that slot.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Certainly more appealing fitting a new fancy stereo. Would I just unplug the current one and leave it redundant? where could I fit the new one?

·
Registered
544 Posts
In place of the CD player, you cannot remove the ICM (with the radio buttons on) as it is an integral part of the rest of the car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry ye just realised it was seperate. Do you know if there is a face plate available or anything to tidy up the fitting of a new stereo, must admit a flip up screen with sat nav etc does appeal

·
Registered
47 Posts
a: Tap straight off the door speaker wires and run to the rear shelf 6x9 speakers
b: Fit some LOC's on the door speaker wires and run that back to an aftermarket AMP to feed the rear shelf speakers.
The guy who told me AMP1 could drive both the door speakers AND rear shelf speakers was a Saab Mechanic, but I have never tried it.[/b]
Hi CHR15

Do I need to tap into both left and right speaker wires?
What is a LOC?
Any advise on spec/ type of 6x9's?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
On the amp featured in the link it says it will accept speaker level inputs, as theory goes could I not unplug the rear 4" and use this as the input then power 6x9's??

·
Registered
544 Posts
The speaker level input is where the feeds from the LOC's will go.

I'm not too knowledgeable about this but with the 4 speaker system, the bass freqs simply are not there.

Listening to music, there are instruments missing (no drums or bass guitars). The whole range of freqs are simply not present in the 4 speaker system.

The Bass goes to the Doors which is why they are a good source. Once AMP1 is fitted, bass is at last, present in the car (but it still isn't anything special).

I'm not sure what using the 4" speaker feeds into an aftermarket Amp will do, other than make the awful tinny sound which they produce, much louder. I can't see how it could improve the sound at all (the Bass frequencies would still not be present).

·
Registered
309 Posts
bmwlee, a while ago a member on here offered me the 7 speaker upgrade kit which may be of some use to you if you manage to get an amp, if you message me I can let you have his details. It may be worth you contacting The Workshop in Bristol as they have a lot of salvage parts like this, I think they trade as simply-saab.com or the number is 01179 406151. David

·
Registered
544 Posts
^^ That's where I bought my car.... It's also the place the guy works who told me AMP1 could drive the door speakers as well as rear parcel shelf speakers.

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
it can't do both...door speakers are 2 ohm rears are 4ohm..

unless you change the door speakers to 4ohm and run them in parallel with rear 4ohms then the amp would see 2ohm

lot of work for little gain..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It was mentioned on another forum that saab may have cut the base out on the 4 speaker set up by using inline filters, has anyone needed to follow the speaker wire and noticed them or is that total rubbish?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've had my system components out to reconfigure the O-Bus.

I didn't see anything inline with the speaker wires from the EHU, nor were there anything inline at the speaker ends (changed the dash speakers too)

I've run Optical cables behind the glove box and seen nothing which could be an inline filter anywhere.

If that were the case, I think it would have been known about a bit more on here and the other Saab forums.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Or just go all out like I did and take an RCA Tap from the rear speakers, filter out higher frequency with an aftermarket amp and then I stuck in a 15" Vibe Sub. PLENTY of bass!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Can anyone confirm if the 1 and 2 on the std saab speaker connectors are 1=negative and 2=positive. Thanks

21 - 40 of 57 Posts