Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Noticed today the rear shelf on my Aero has what appears to be factory cut 6x9 holes pre cut under the speaker grills and some awfull little speakers fitted next to them! Do all 6x9 speakers fit into these holes or should I choose carefully, are there any speakers people recommend to fit or avoid. Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi, I bought some Pioneer ones from Halfords for about £35 and they made a huge difference, you just need to buy some that are fairly flush. When I did mine I was told to disconnect the original speakers as they could cause problems as my amp could not handle an extra set although I am sure someone here could give you advise on whether you can keep the old ones.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i was hoping to hear. I will disconnect the original speakers as they no use anyway :) As far as flush fitting is that so the grill still fits? Anyone fitted Kenwoods?

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
if your connecting the 6x9s to the rear 4" outputs & disconnecting the 4" ones,there's not enough power to drive the 6x9s properly plus the bass signal is filtered out of the rear 4"s..

·
Registered
47 Posts
if your connecting the 6x9s to the rear 4" outputs & disconnecting the 4" ones,there's not enough power to drive the 6x9s properly plus the bass signal is filtered out of the rear 4"s..[/b]
I know there has been a lot of discussion on fitting replacement rear speakers with an additional amp. Why on earth would Saab have fitted a system with such poor sound to the rear? And why would they filter out the bass?

Not all of us have the ability or time/patience to fit an amp etc- as this involves getting cables fed from the head unit PITA!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worst factory sound in 20 years of buying cars!! Are we sure on bass being filtered out as this seems very unusuall especially as they supplied a head unit with a Bass control?

·
Registered
216 Posts
One of the first things I did was fit some Kenwoods to the rear, straight forward job but didn't notice much improvement if any. Not worth spending a lot of money on 6x9's unless you go for the full upgrade with seperate amps etc. As been said the bass is filtered out, (it's the 7 speaker system on mine and it's not too bad).

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
on the 7 speaker system,you can add 6x9s with amp using an LOC by tapping into the speaker outs on amp1 under the front left seat & it does improve the system..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOC - is this a line out. Did you power new amp straight from the battery? Anywhere specific for the earth? Any other wires?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just looked under the passenger seat and there is no amp. Am I to assume then that all speakers are being run off the head unit and recieving full frequencies?

·
Registered
47 Posts
on the 7 speaker system,you can add 6x9s with amp using an LOC by tapping into the speaker outs on amp1 under the front left seat & it does improve the system..[/b]

Hi Aerojon

This sounds reasonably simple, as dash etc is not disturbed. What is an LOC. What sort of amp & speakers are advisable?
I presume an earth and live can be picked up from the boot left hand fusebox really easily?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just looked under the passenger seat and there is no amp. Am I to assume then that all speakers are being run off the head unit and recieving full frequencies?[/b]
If you are driving a saloon (not a convertible) and there is no AMP under the passenger seat, you have the woeful 4 speaker setup

Have a listen to those door grille speakers.... there s nothing behind the grille.

Lets bring the Saab stereo into perspective..

The Stereo system was upgraded along with the facelift in 2007

The UPGRADED stereo, is exactly the same unit as fitted in one of these as standard

Now if that is the UPGRADED unit, lets come back a bit and think about how bad the original unit must be on the 2003-2007 cars!!

Do you still think Saab are trying to compete with the Germans???

With the 4 speaker set up, you have very little options, the Bass frequencies simply do not come out of the head unit to the 4 speakers by design. There is nothing you can do to conjure them up.

The only option, is to fit AMP1 under the passenger seat, along with the door speaker (and centre grille if you can be bothered).
Once AMP1 is fitted, there are lots of options (using LOC's to add extra amps for example)

Of course Saab didn't bother running the correct Optical cables though, so as well as buying the AMP1 and Speakers, you also need a bunch of Optical Cables and various connectors before you can reconfigure the O-Bus.

I've walked this path, as have many others. I think it is worth it, but the stereo is still WAAAAAYY short of ANY other standard fitted unit on ANY other car in the World today..... but MUCH better than the standard 4 speaker joke.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all that its making sence now, 2003 saloon so 4 speakers! Sorry if this is a daft question but how would a amp recieve bass frequency if its not been sent out by the head unit?

·
Registered
544 Posts
The AMP is not fed with wires.

The Signal comes out of the Head Unit by an Optical Cable (a flexible glass tube which flashes a red light).
The Optical Cable leads from the head unit down to the AMP1, this is the O-Bus, it connects all the component parts together ICM, CD Player, AMP1, AMP2, Satnav stuff etc. It goes round in a big loop with everything only connected by this Optical signal.

This is why you cannot tap Bass from the head unit...because there are no wires to tap from.

The Bass goes down the Optical Cable into AMP1.

AMP1 then converts the signal and sends the Bass frequencies to the door speakers (and Centre Dash Speaker) by wires. These are the wires you need to tap from for the LOC in order to feed another AMP.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it possible to take the optical out from the head unit to an after market amp and drive some 6x9's on the rear shelf?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Nope... not in reality anyway.

It's unlikely you would find an aftermarket amp with an Optical Input speaking the same languange as the Saab effort.

As a quick aside, you do realise the Head unit is not the unit on the dash with the buttons on??
This is the ICM which controls the SID stuff (Trip Computer and such) and simply has the radio controls on

The Radio containing the amp is bolted to the CD Player and is found behind the Air Con panel (called the EHU).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats totally shocking, so basically Saab screwing up everyone who wants any Bass unless you buy their amp! Dont suppose you know how low the frequency is the head unit is kicking out? Under the seat is a multi plug so assuming the amp plugs into this and I can get started from there. Is 'LOC' a line out for after market amps

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yes, you need LOC's for aftermarket amps. They take the feed to the door speakers off to another AMP.

No idea about specific frequencies, I just know how bad it was before fitting AMP1 and how much better it got after fitting.

You are correct about the multiplug clipping right in, but the Optical cables will not be present, they have to be run back up to the dash. Without the Optical cables present, it won't work.

Saab prices for AMP1 are a similar farcical price.

I bought mine from Ebay, £75 for the AMP, both door speakers and centre speaker.

It can be a struggle to locate them, look on Ebay for the 1p Wheel Nut ads on a breaking Saab.

Once you find a Saab 93 breaking, send a message to see if he can get the bits out of the breaking car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So basically
1) buy the saab amp
2) buy and connect an optical lead
3) skip buying the door and centre channel speakers
4) buy an after market amp and connect it to the saab amp via an rca lead and take a live feed for it off the battery with an inline fuse and connect some nice 6x9's on the shelf and fingers crossed I get some bass!

did I miss anything?

·
Registered
544 Posts
No, not what I'd do.

1. Buy the AMP1
2. By the optical leads and connectors (there are a few bits)
3. Fit Door speakers

The door speakers are 2 Ohm, not that common but I have been told AMP1 would parallel drive 4 ohm speakers in the rear.

Essentially, you could fit the door speakers to get some Bass

If you decide that isn't enough, fit rear 6x9's on the parcel shelf and either:

a: Tap straight off the door speaker wires and run to the rear shelf 6x9 speakers
b: Fit some LOC's on the door speaker wires and run that back to an aftermarket AMP to feed the rear shelf speakers.

The guy who told me AMP1 could drive both the door speakers AND rear shelf speakers was a Saab Mechanic, but I have never tried it.

The downside of running from the door speakers, is that you lose the Front/Rear Fader controls which I use occasionally.

Before I started all this on mine, I fitted 6x9's on the rear shelf and used the little 4" wires to feed the 6x9's. Didn't make much difference but I would argue made it marginally better. Not enough to spend money on though but I had already bought them.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts