Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled out in front of a fella last week (really had plenty of room) but I noticed his bonnet outline lift up meaning he floored it deliberately.

Next thing he pulls right up my rear end and follows me for best part of a mile flashing and peeping.

Decided to give my griffen some welly for the first time and left the boy for dead - dunno what model but was some Astra. Found it quite exciting to the extent that I drove for the next twenty minutes in a brisk fashion and although the straigh line performance is fantastic (makes my 16v Mk2 Golf feel slow), the car lurched around corners with the tyres squeeling more than I could bear.

SO......tomorrow the car is booked in for the fitting of the uprated front and rear anti-roll bars, strut brace, Koni complete suspension kit AND poly bushes!!!

Wallet is already 1k lighter and it will be in the garage all day tomorrow being kitted out - can't wait to see what difference ensues.

May just have to go for a Trionic upgrade (or should I sort the brakes first?)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If you're satisfied with the straightline power get the brakes.

Otherwise I say, stage 3 upgrade for power. Full turbo back exhaust, intake, and a chip.

They will rue the day!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]If you're satisfied with the straightline power get the brakes.      

Otherwise I say, stage 3 upgrade for power.  Full turbo back exhaust, intake, and a chip.    :fawlty:    

They will rue the day!

Dubbya~ [/qb][/b]
YUP - sounds great cept am an auto!

Don't think the box can take that sorta power?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
They generally reduce the torque for the autobox, which is the real "box-killer".

Hmmm ... Griffin's gotta V6?

Anyhow. If it's turbo-ed you could just get the downpipe. That would increase spool up and top end, and shouldn't hurt the autobox.

If it's a V6, get the brakes.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the 2.3 FPT - thankfully!

Mates really well to an auto box - luv it to bits! (Hopefully not literally)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Don't knock the V6, you can chip it to 235bhp and still keep the torque within gearbox limits, unlike the turbo's, and all for £150.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
With the right tuner, any Trionic 4-cyl can be tuned for lots of horsepower without the autobox eating torque. The tuner just has to have the boost come up in a way that torque doesn't get so high lower in the rev range.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by microcat36:
[qb]Don't knock the V6, you can chip it to 235bhp and still keep the torque within gearbox limits, unlike the turbo's, and all for £150.      [/qb][/b]
Where can you get it chipped for that price? 235bhp in my 3.0L 900 would be quite interesting.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I don't mean to knock the V6. With some headers, and intake, and a chip it would be a great, and very smooth, engine!

I just meant that, if it's the V6 the brakes would be my personal choice as getting more power out of the V6 is still a bit harder than doing so with the FPT2.3.

I say get a downpipe with sport catalyst. That should mate nicely with your current exhaust and give you better spool up (very nice for the auto) with some top end improvement as well without the gearbox eating torque.

That way if you decide to chip it later you can go straight for the stage 3.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Ian have a look at this link,
power chips
look under products/engine tuning/power chips
I gave them a phone and had a good chat with the guy there and he told me it would give 12bhp on the 2.5 and 20-25bhp on the 3.0. have a look at the list under Senator 24v, they have done quite a few and depending on the engine 25bhp is the norm, i will find out in a couple of weeks anyway.
I know of 2 that have been done, one of them has been to a rolling road and is getting 236bhp, as the 9000 3.0 was supposed to put out more bhp than the Vauxhall due to reworked heads, 240bhp is i suppose not out of reach, and for £150 is a cheap upgrade, also torque will not reach the turbo's wrecking proportions, which the auto would not like. .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts