Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
For some time now i have had a whine from somewhere in front of the steerng wheel. I put this down to final drive but I'm not sure. It is immediately in front of the steering wheel and ocurs when the the engine is cruising and not under load. Lately I have noticed that when shifting gear there is a metallic clink. i remember when I had a Morris 1000, my first car i could here a similar noise from the rear and that was the worn diff'. Am I right in assuming albeit a fwd the Carly is essentialy suffering the same problem and if so what would be the cost to rectify As allways all advice appreciated.
Cheers,
Keith.

Edited for an after thought. What gearboxes will retrofit my '89 Carly?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I would have thought it might be that, but the bearings on the diff are much larger than the ones on the 2 input and output shafts.

I've not known a diff to go yet (BillJ excepting...)

My aero box would wine on overrun, when changing up and when cold as the inout shaft had dropped and was grinding on the steel brace in the case.

Andrew.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scminks,
From your reply it seems a vvveeeerrrryyy common problem . I'll have to do a search on old posts for more info. I'd still like to know if I can get a retro fit as this would give me a wider search for a replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.