Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps.

Just went to fill up my saab at my local filling station.There i was minding my own buisiness putting the local brew into my tank.Got to twenty pounds on the pump(it was all the cash i had on me at the time),looked down and lo and behold there was a dirty great puddle of petrol on the ground underneath my car.
As you can imagine i was not too amused as i thought that i had smelt petrol round my car for a while.The question is,will this afect the performance of my car until i get it fixed?. And how much will a new filler neck be?

Eeeeek!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine does the same if I try to fill once the nozzle has clicked off once. I probably have a leak in the filler neck somewhere. Haven't got around to looking for it because it hasn't been priority item...I just don't fill it past the inital shutoff point. I haven't noticed performance problems, except when I have a full tank and go around corners...I notice a distinct fuel smell.

Hey...its an old car, what can I say?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If the tank is full then a loose fuel pump locking ring will allow fuel to come out of the top of the tank and drip onto the floor. I ended up with a huge pool on the floor at my local tesco and when I pointed this out to them they didn't seem to care. I on the other hand drove the car right back to the farage who had put the pump in and got them to tighten it up.

Steve

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If you find out how to get to the filler tube at the top end can you let me know as I suspect the only way to get my fuel cap off is to take the filler fiting out and try to undo the cap from the tank side of the cap.

Steve

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you look inside the filler opening, there is a rectangular rubber dust seal - the retaining screws for the filler assembly are behind it.
The assembly is fastened to the rubber fuel hose with a big Jubilee clip, (which is probably rusted).
Further down is another short hose (and two rusty clips), then the fibreglass(?) pipe to the tank.
Back to the filler assembly- there is a medium sized hose going into the little charcoal cannister-this is held on by one of those clips that you squeeze with a pair of pliers to open.
At the lowest point of the filler assembly is a little drain hose- just a push-fit.
Disassemble that lot and you should trace any problems easily - you'll also probably find a lot of hidden rust, too.
Best of luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.