Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed this rattle from using the DS 2500's? I took my front wheels off, yesterday, to investigate rattling which occurs over road bumps (railroad tracks, small potholes, etc). At first I thought it was coming from the rotor shields/backing plates, but upon closer examination I found that it's the pads, which seem to have excessive vertical play. I used a thin film of blue silicone gasket material to the backs of the pads, before I installed them, but the play seems to be in the up/down direction. Has anyone else noticed this with their pads? I bought the pads from Trent and I think that they did a slight grind but this was, I think, to the backs. I love the way the pads perform but the rattling is really annoying.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Robert,

the grind is to the top and bottom of the pads.

the ds2500 pads are about 2mm too tall, and their is a 1 mm raise on the top and bottom of each lug that runs for half it's length normally.

I ground mine myself, and did one pad (out of 2 sets) a little too much, but thankfully I don't have any rattles of clunks (it was an inner one though).

I have to say that I do love those DS2500's though, work when cold, and keep working when very hot. Squeel a little when used lightly at a crawling pace.

Andrew

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'll have to do some research on those clips that BillJ allegedly uses. Or, maybe put a dollop of blue silicone on the tops and bottoms of those lugs?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by robert lavergne:
[qb]Or, maybe put a dollop of blue silicone on the tops and bottoms of those lugs? [/qb][/b]
errmm... you don't want to do that- it could end up messy. Brakes can reach temps above 300 deg C even without caning it round a track, which will make the silicon goo...

Bill's not around at the mo, but I'm sure he'll reply when he gets back.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Back now

As Andrew says, I had a clunk or "clack" on hard braking and on moving off after a hard stop. I also bought the standard size pads (DS3000) and filed them down myself. I went a bit too far because I suspected the DS2500s I was replacing might have been binding slightly (I'd filed those down myself too). There was noticeable vertical movement of the outboard pads.

I went to Halfords (local car parts chain) and bought a brake fitting kit with some clips that would act as shims on the top of the pad. Fitting these made no difference.

The clunk turned out to be a stripped bolt on the left-hand control arm bush. Luckily it was one of the two long bolts that go through the "butterfly" so I was able to replace the bracket in the floor that these screw into. Clunk is gone.

The amount of movement I saw on the pads would, I think, make some noise. I may remove the clips now to see whether any noise comes back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.