Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i started my car and switched on my headlights you know how it goes 1 click sidelights 2nd click mainbeam everything was fine until i swithed my fog/driving lights on my mainbeam then went off and only my sidelights and driving lights stayed on i assumed the filaments may have blown in both bulbs however when i drove the car tonight the mainbeam came on until that is i pressed the brake and once again back to the sidelights only what could this be? i initialy thought it was my bulbs or a fuse but now i just dont know and i dont want another arguement with a police officer explaining that my driving lights are exactly that and not front fogs any help please

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
On that year, it is most likely the relay as Leon suggests. There are no outwardly-visible signs. The only way to test it, as far as I know, is by fitting a know good relay.

A number of people have reported good results from opening the relay up and retouching all the soldered connections with a soldering iron.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It does come with time. Having had 9000s for the last 7 or 8 years, I've done a fair few jobs on them. I also watch the boards for people's problems, other people's answers and what eventually fixes the problems. Then I regurgitate the answers to make people think I'm clever

Which brings me to an important point - if this fixes it, let us know. If not, let us know that too. That way we all learn.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
going to buy my relay today none of the dealers in the manchester area have any besides they were quoting me 44 quid + vat my local scrapyard have advised me that they have just received a 1992 9000 ready to strip just yesterday let you know how it goes thanks

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I had a similar problem on my on my 9000 when I could never be sure if dipped beam came on or not - various suggestions from Saab including relays, column stalk and the control box which indicates bulb failure which I believe is a series of relays - about £160 from Saab.
I never did find the problem and Neil CS2.3T has the car now and I think cured it so he may be able to help. I didn't think main/dipped relays were as expensive as that.
Mike

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My Aero used to not switch from dipped to main and vise versa.

I finally traced that to the connector on the back if the stalk mechanism.

A bit of juggling to remove and refit and all has been welll for 6 years now.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
My mainbeam failed on my '94 model CS, and happened to be the orange plug-in module (under the bonnet along with the fuses) that detects the headlamps are working, or not.
Luckily I had just picked one up from a scrappies the previous week for virtually nothing to put in the toolbox, just in case! Sometimes you can be far too clever...but not often!

Nick.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Originally posted by LocoSaab:
[qb]I had a similar problem on my on my 9000 when I could never be sure if dipped beam came on or not - various suggestions from Saab including relays, column stalk and the control box which indicates bulb failure which I believe is a series of relays - about £160 from Saab.
I never did find the problem and Neil CS2.3T has the car now and I think cured it so he may be able to help. I didn't think main/dipped relays were as expensive as that.
Mike [/qb][/b]
Yes it's cured, it was the stalk switch that was at fault. So be prepared to do either/both the relay or stalk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts