1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hope everyone's had a good xmas.

I have a problem

The check engine light flashes 6 times which indicates that the lambda sensor is faulty.

This last couple of days I have been going up and down the M5, I always drive the 3 miles to the M5 under 3K RPM to warm up the engine and the check engine light does not come on.
And it generally stays off under light throttle, but as soon as I give it a bit of a nudge to 90-100 MPH the light comes on.

It does seem that when I do the return journey and the car is already warm the light does not come on.

Does this sound familiar to any body - could it just need a clean, or replaced ?

BTW how much are they ?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Damian

Oh and happy new year to all

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Damian,

I hope you're sitting down for this one... a new Lambda sensor from Saab is circa £230. And the Trionic ECUs seem to be very fussy and don't like alternative aftermarket ones...

The cleaning routine is to take it out, give it a good blast with quality carb cleaner, then once that has evaporated, heat the tip with a blowlamp until it's glowing for a couple of minutes...

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I recently had the check engine light come on once, and then the six flashes. I was thinking of just replacing the lambda sensor, but when I saw the price I got my local expert to check it out. The Saab diagnostic computer showed that the sensor was actually working properly, and once the error log was erased, it has behaved itself. Seems to have been a one off.

The moral of the story is that a proper diagnosis saved me a lot of money.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

I have since found a website that is very interesting - http://www.lambdasensor.com/

They do a Lambda sensor for the CSE / Areo for £58
or £94 from Elk for an oem part.

I might try cleaning it tomorow, as I have noticed a slight decline in my mpg.

Mark E - I was wondering if a third party sensor would be ok or not, the above site do supply bosch unit's which are probably the maker of the saab unit "?"

thanks

Damian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.