Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Yep, I looked at that yesterday, each stage looks very much like Speedparts however maptun claim more horepower and much more torque, also a bit more expensive. Will have to see what my insurance company says
Stage 2 says 430Nm at 2500rpm - um wonder what the gearbox will think

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian:
[qb]Stage 2 says 430Nm at 2500rpm - um wonder what the gearbox will think[/qb][/b]
The gearbox probably won't mind as much as the clutch. How do I know?

Maptun estimated 450Nm from my software, and this is borne out on the rolling road. This appears to be too much for a standard clutch.
Never mind. New clutch means gearbox out, which means it would be silly not to perform some other enhancements at the same time

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
How much is Stage 6 as the Stage 5 is £3,300 plus VAT? I can't believe that many people would insure it & I'm not sure that I would want to drive it.

As a track tool/race car, well, that's different. But for 440bhp/550nm torque and FWD, surely you are going to need very sticky slicks? Not to mention a heavily re-inforced bodyshell, I reckon.

What do Speedparts offer, then, as I have their stage 3?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Oh, re traction, despite the fact that Jonas Gustafsson's Saab 9000 CDE has 475 BHP, it only does 0-60mph in 5.58. That's slower than my 150bhp Elise!!!

Now with a 4WD conversion as in the PP monsters, we would see a slightly different story.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jez,
Absolutely, but most car crazy Swedes are barking...I've known a lot of 'em.....but they enjoy doing this sort of thing, because, it can be done, and to hell with practicality....

Long may they continue.....hmmmnnnn.....who's going to be the first to do a 4wd conversion of a 9000 then...
(Anders Nordstadt or someone similar may have already done it.. )

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]How much is Stage 6 as the Stage 5 is £3,300 plus VAT? I can't believe that many people would insure it & I'm not sure that I would want to drive it.
[/qb][/b]
Stage 5 from Maptun wouldn't work out that expensive for me as I've already got most of it fitted to the car!!

All I need is a remapped ECU and injectors...

And I'm very sure I want to drive it
. Frankly I don't give a monkeys about 0-60. Mid range and overtaking is what it's all about.

Oh, and yes, it can be insured- for under a grand, even with 9 points and a faulted accident within the last 3 years. I know because I checked before I decided to upgrade further...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Jez, my insurers are Greenlight.

Stage 5 Maptun (350hp/510NM) is going to cost me around £650 initially; slightly less net once I have sold my Abbott ECU to help fund it.

But, I've already got fitted to the car:
Full Abbott exhaust incl cat bypass
Mega roller bearing turbo (what lag?
)
High flow intercooler
High flow air filter

And that little lot alone at list price comes to somewhere over £3k!!

To help keeps things straight at the front, I've also ordered a strut brace too- I can feel it twisting even now with circa 450NM!

I doubt it will all be here by the SSc meet tho, so for that day Bill's car will be top dog I suspect

As for being beaten off the lights by a landcruiser? Shame! Time to get some practice in I think! More clutch required!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure how seriously people take my driving tips but ..

For a quick start, you've gotta pretty much ignore first gear. I use about 1/3 throttle and change up at about 4000rpm, then 2/3 throttle in second up to 3000rpm at which point I'll use full throttle. Only then (if I'm lucky) will I get decent traction.

Mind you, as I've said before, my current tyres are complete pants.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
For off-the-line traction, stiffer rear suspension definitely helps, as it reduces the weight transfer off the front wheels. I imagine the front suspension has a lot to do with it too. With the Abbott springs/dampers, a smattering of poly bushes and grippy tyres, traction is much improved. In a straight line in the dry, I get no wheelspin in 2nd gear, although it remains to be seen what the combined effect of a lower final drive and LSD will be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts