Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I decided after much embaressment to attempt to fix/repair my central locking.about 4 weeks ago i discovered that the Tailgate lock on my Carlsson wasn't locking So I removed the trim panel and fiddled with the linkages and voila!! just a stuck linkage I lubricated all the obvious points put the panel back and Aaarghh!! A loud farting noise every time i unlocked the car Running out of time that day I just had to leave it like that. So for 4 weeks now I've had the embaressing noise pointed out to me by freinds and passers by
So I stripped out the C/L unit on my scrap CDE and attacked teh carlsson with this in hand, only to find They are different!! Damn!! With old unit in hand i retired to the kitchen. A couple of small screwdrivers later I'd split the old unit in half,it was broken anyway, and it's sort of glued together. What a nice simple mechanism this is 1 motor and two other plastic/nylon cogs and a rack . the largest of the two cogs had a tooth missing i guess due to the maechanism being stuck so i eased it round and moved the rack back and forward until it no longer touched the missing tooth. Then out with the superglue I also put a zip tie round the unit just to hold it together, put it back in the car and Result!! A nice quiet C/L system

I think if this had been anything other than SAAB build quality I would never been able to do this.

HTH

Cheers C

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi

I expect to get some differing opinions on this, and admit, that at the moment I am going through a period where as soon as one thing is fixed, some thing else fails, but perhaps if it was not for saab build quality it would not have failed in the first place. In my experiance which I would admit is not as long as some others, I have a virtualy indistructabe engine, but all the bit around it are very fragile, and expensive.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I would agree /disagree

the engines are without peer
My engine is on 204,000 miles on origonal internals and is putting out 400 hp !!
there are some of the components that could be better
but certainly for the majority of stuff it is pretty high quality (eg the window motors on c900 are the same as used by porsche ...)
and quality does not come cheap!!...thats why saab lost so much money for so long
however you look at the 9-3 ss and it just does not have the quality of components
it has been built to a price and it shows...

btw one of my door lock motors has been farting for years ...I might fix it now !!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.