Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Ive just had some fun with my 92 9000cs (2.0 lpt)
had some funny noises comming from the belt area of the engine for the past day or so. Lastnite things came a head, loud screeching of rubber and dimming lights etc...

Stopped the car and had a look at the belt and it was very slack... 2-1.5 inches of play on it.
I checked the pulley on the waterpump thinking something may be amiss there, but it seems fine and turns ok. I couldnt do much more diagnostics as the car was roadside and I had no torch.

So from there I decided to cut my losses and limp home as it was only about 1 mile away.. got 3/4 of the journey and the screeching stopped (when gearing down).. then only to restart (not as bad) just before I got home.

Parked her up and pulled the bonnett only to find that the slack on the belt had suddenly dissapeared. I walked to work this morning but Im just still trying to figure out what has gone amiss... has anyone any guesses (that may put my mind at rest?)

any comments are welcome

Michael

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate,

Thats what Im hoping as the bearing in there must have collapsed or something I wouldnt mind but the day before it went thru the Mot or Nct as we call it over here (well tell a wee lie failed on headlight adjustment and the handbrake adjustment

·
Registered
330 Posts
Could be worth changing the pulley wheel & belt while you're at it just to be safe.
As for the mot/nct its not a part they would check
for unless the belts were rubbing on something they shouldn't be.
J.
(ps the tensioners work out about £50>55 in the aftermarket world os SAABS)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Gilbert,

Unfortunatly its decided to give up the ghost 80 miles away from where my tools are kept. Im working down in dublin but all my gear is up home in leitrim... Ive left the car in with a good saab mech down in dublin (where i got it originally) so hopefully he can sort it out ok.

The belt seemed to be in one piece... but I guess its got the [expletive deleted] burned out of it from slipping so much.. so thats definitly a new one anyway. I will know either tommorow or monday what the score with the tensioner is but odds are its what you guys suggested.

As for the nct when I bring it back they only check what they flagged on the first test...
no mattter what so hopefully all will be grand .

Ive had the car 2 years.. theres 175k on the clock and this has been about the height of my troubles so far so not Im not doing so bad

Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
26 Posts
slightly related topic, on fan belts, my car has gone through three fan belts in 15 months!
('94 9k cse lpt - 112k miles) Could this be something to do with the pulleys too? When the belts were fitted by a.n other back street car garage there was no reported wear on them. N E ideas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.