Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got myself a three gauge din plate and I only have two guages, what am I to do?I have a boost gauge and an oil pressure gauge at the moment.Any ideas on the third?what are peoples views on what should be monitored?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
If you get an A/F meter, it won't work properly with a stock lambda sensor, which will be narrow band. You will need to use a wide band lambda, which are a bit harder to come by and more expensive.

More gauge options:

Water temp
Analogue clock
EGT
Brake bias

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
IMHO, of the ones /john lists I'd say it's between the oil temp gauge and the voltmeter. I've got the oil temp fitted. It's handy, especially in conjunction with the pressure gauge. OTOH Because of the way it's graduated you won't see much movement from it but at least you'll know just how long it takes for the engine to really reach operating temp.

I also have the voltmeter which is quick to fit and gives you that all important info on how well your battery is performing. Plus, if cost is an issue, you don't have to shell out for the sensor as well

The outside temp gauge is a nice touch but expensive.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Just noticed you've a 9000 in which case you've got a voltmeter and outside temp, doh! But if yours is '95 on you'll have a placebo water temp gauge so you could put in a real one!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Originally posted by jig:
[qb]Thanks for the response guys,I think the oil temp would be the easy option  
 [/qb][/b]
At the risk of starting an un-necessary argument about which gauges are best, wouldn't it be more useful to put in a gauge of something that could potentially harm the engine?

Air/Fuel ratio gauge, EGT gauge maybe?

The idea being to monitor key systems.

Of course your oil temp is important, but your 9000 Aero has an oil cooler which should take care of that with reasonable reliability even if you tamper with your power output a little.

AF ratio and EGT are both things that are essential to monitor. Unless you're absoluely sure that you won't ever take the hands on approach to modifying it might be best to put one of them in now while you can. You'll want to fit them later, so why not do it now?

If the gauge will be purely decorative I'd stil go for A/F ratio or EGT as these are both highly variable parameters and lots of fun for your passengers to watch, just like the boost gauge.

The A/F ratios often even have flashing moving lights. Very neat looking. Perhaps not the cheapest, but more important than oil temp probably, and certainly good for the "bling bling" if you know what I mean.

Oh and keep on

Dubbya~

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]At the risk of starting an un-necessary argument about which gauges are best, [/qb][/b]
Life's too short. Let's not argue. It's horses for courses as to what gauges someone might choose EGT and AFR are good ones to have - but I see no prob with oil temp either

[qb]The A/F ratios often even have flashing moving lights.  Very neat looking.  Perhaps not the cheapest, but more important than oil temp probably, and certainly good for the "bling bling" if you know what I mean.                
[/qb][/b]
Which might, indeed, be a reason that some people do not wish to install them as they are contrary to the understated nature of Saabs

I think that oil temp indicator is fine. The extra gauges on my classic 900 were voltmeter | oil pressure | oil temperature ...and they are missed on my 9-3 which does not have a spare DIN aperture to contain them

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
A narrowband A/F gauge might be useless for tuning (which you do on a rolling road anyways) but I reckon it's a good diagnostic instrument all the same

On the road, you just want to make sure you're on 'rich' when giving it johnny large. Not really neccessary to know whether that 'rich' means 12:1 or 9:1 (in the latter case you'd see black smoke from the tailpipe anyways ). If it suddendly leans out at WOT you can at least lift your right foot somewhat before damage is done...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I don't think /john likes my bling bling idea.

Nothing wrong with oil temp at all.

The EGT would be a little more understated, and would still give you some idea of your A/F ratio, making the A/F gauge somewhat superfluous anyway.

Leave it up to y'all.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
[qb]I don't think /john likes my bling bling idea.        
[/qb][/b]
It does appeal to me in one sense. Half the time I think I'll stick lots of stuff on my Saab, the rest of the time I think that I'll take stuff off it so it is more stealth

Like I say - up to the individual's choice

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Adrian you got me thinking again now.I do want to get the most benefit from fitting extra gauges and not just looking for cosmetic enhancements.I thought that fitting an EGT or A/F sensors may be costly and complicated as Mark pointed out ,I might have to find a different Lamba sensor.If anyone has any links on buying or fitting A/F or EGT meters I would be grateful.I am planing on Maptun stage 3

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by jig:
[qb]I am planing on Maptun stage 3  
     :thumbsup:  [/qb][/b]
And therein lies the beauty of Saab tuning... you'll be dealing with known parameters. The Maptun boys (and indeed Speedparts, Abbott, Hirsch et al) have done their homework so you don't need to worry about monitoring lambda and EGT- assuming everything is working OK.

IMO EGT and A/F gauges are really only necessary when you're tuning a Saab using methods other than software control. Many of the others are simply cosmetic enhancements.

Having added Stage 3, for peace of mind, you could go to a rolling road and have your power, torque, EGTs and A/F ratio checked for less money than the cost of the gauges.

I've installed two extra gauges on my highly tuned 9000- boost and water temp. Boost is partly diagnostic, but also nice to watch. I have recently added the temp gauge because it does run warm on hot days/tracks and I wanted to really know what was going on.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by dave225:
[qb]SteveN

What's the story with the "placebo water temp gauge" on early 9000's ?? [/qb][/b]
Dave,

On the 'late' 9000's (1994 or 1995 onwards), the water temp guage is not controlled by the temp sensor in the engine head directly, but that reading passes through the Trionic ECU, and that then decides what reading to display on the dash (so as to not to waoory drivers as it wanters up and down under load or queueing etc.

Cars that has this arangement also don't have the fan switch in the radiator as the ECU controls this function too via the 1st sensor.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If you're going the MapTun stage route nearly any gauge will be more cosmetic than instrumental as it would be on a factory stock car. Boost pressure may be good for diagnosing problems, same with oil pressure. Oil temp is taken care of by the cooler as I said, and should not be a problem.

Perhaps a voltmeter gauge? The A/F ratio gauge could still be useful for diagnosing problems with idle and other similar things. And you shouldn't need to change the O2 sensor to use the A/F ratio gauge for diagnostics. Merely if you want to use it to tune the engine, in which case you'd need a wide band O2.

For me personally I will likely go with the SPA gauges as they have dual digital units that I like very much. They are also not too horribly expensive.

Eventually I hope to have an analog boost pressure gauge and wideband A/F gauge in the A pillar. Then down by the lower part of the center console two dual SPA gauges. One with boost temp and EGT. Another with coolant temp and gearbox oil temp.

The reason I want those gauges though is that I don't intend on following the "Staged Path" and I need to monitor various things. Most of those are obvious. The gearbox temp is going to be monitored so I can find out why the 903's gearbox gets so "sticky" after some around down driving, and to see if whatever I change has a measureable effect on keeping in cool.

At any rate, don't buy gauges you don't want/need ... I would still go for the A/F ratio gauge because I love flashing lights and whatnot. But if you want a more stealthy appearence with some retained usefulness get a coolant temp one. For me things like coolant temp make a big difference in power. Always nice to know what's going on.

Dubbya~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts