Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flexi-pipe after the cat on my 97 Aero is blowing a bit, so I see this as a good reason to get a cat-back system.

The JT exhaust as sold by Elkparts seems to be highly rated, and isn't too expensive.

From the pics on Elkparts website, the intermediate silencer is very different to the one currently fitted, but looking at BillJ's website, it all seems to go in ok.

The system doesnt include any flexi-pipe, so I am assuming a solid pipe attaches to the cat. Is this a good thing?

Is this the system to go for?

many thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a Hayward & Scott system fitted to my 2.3 last year at a cost of about £600. It's hand made to fit the car, is made in stainless steel, and removes the CAT (which is easily refitted at MOT time). The tailpipe looks great, and the sound is superb. Purposeful rather than out & out loud.

It has a lifetime guarentee, and they expected it to have to bed in, so brackets may need adjusting and retightening. A year and 8,000 miles later, the fit has been so good I've never gone back.

Now that's the way to go.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Sevenman,
Although it's extra ££'s I'd bite the bullet and get the whole JT system from Elkparts, that's the down pipe with sport cat plus system. The reduced turbo spool up offered by the downpipe combined with the freeer flowing sport cat make a more noticable improvement than just fitting the rest of the system to the standard down pipe/cat, IMHO.
I went this route on my MY96 Aero a few months ago and haven't regretted it......lots more

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had to bite the bullet, and get the standard bit of pipe to replace it.

If I stand any chance of going to the Nurburgring in September, with MOT, tax and insurance next month, a full system isn't an option I would rather have a fun Saabing trip across Europe than be stuck driving slowly in this country, where the faster spool up time and few extra horsepower won't be used. Hopefully I will be able to sort out the exhaust not too long in the future

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Sevenman:
where the faster spool up time and few extra horsepower won't be used.

Actually, I found the most noticable difference is in the 1500-3000rpm range during everyday driving, the extra response is just so much more......
And the fuel economy has increased by an average 2-3mpg since fitting as an added bonus....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]Actually, I found the most noticable difference is in the 1500-3000rpm range during everyday driving, the extra response is just so much more......    And the fuel economy has increased by an average 2-3mpg since fitting as an added bonus....    [/qb][/b]
Agree wholeheartedly-you cannot appreciate the difference until you try two cars back to back. Overtaking is so easy-no waiting for the turbo to
catch up-and fuel economy improves (mine by about 3 mpg), albeit only slightly. If you are ever in Essex, let me know and you can try mine

Will never have to replace my system ever again, which is another bonus of Stainless Steel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.