Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Feeling quite sour because my car failed it's MOT today! doh! Both centre and rear boxes gone on the exhaust and need replacing. Carlsson's in Leatherhead (who were doing some other work on the car and sorting the MOT for me) have quoted me £314.90 to replace with a Saab one. However I've seen this at the Elkparts site. Other than the apparent cost saving over getting a straight replacement exhaust from Saab, what are the other benefits/differences from using a "sports exhaust" like that one? Sorry for the stupid question!

Thanks - Jules

·
Registered
335 Posts
..improved response, potential for further tuning in future, a bit more noise (possibly - my last 2.0 was a quiet and burbly 3" system, cant remember where it came from).. in fairness most systems for a 9000 will have been designed with that in mind, and a turbo helps reduce noise anyway.. check how long they guarantee for as well. only other thing is potential fitting problems over the original system not quite matching dimensions wise.. thats about it really. HTH

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
This is snippet from Bills site, and what he fitted.

(His words not mine!)

The Speedparts JT 3" system from Maptun Control Systems in Sweden
While asking for opinions on Exhaust systems for the 9000 on the Internet, I came upon a number of recommendations for the JT system from Speedparts in Sweden. This is a 3" system from turbo to tailpipe including, optionally, a 3" downpipe and freeflow catalytic converter. It is an aluminised steel system. Their target market is Sweden (and their web site is in Swedish), but one of their dealers, Maptun Control Systems, is happy to export to the rest of the world, and the proprietor, Johnny Johannsen, is both very knowledgable on Saab tuning and an excellent English speaker. The person who persuaded me to buy a JT system was not Johnny, but Bill Davies, a regular participant on TSN and a fellow UK 9000 owner. Having read my concerns, he invited me to visit him to see and hear the JT 3" system on his 9000 CSE. I spent a morning with him and was very impressed; first by the discreet 3" stainless steel tailpipe trim, then by the lack of "boy racer" noise, first at idle, then when he took me for a drive and "let 'er rip". My mind was made up and I e-mailed Johnny at Maptun and ordered a system. The price (at then-current exchange rates) was just under £500 including shipping (less than the Abbott downpipe alone!). A 3" free-flow cat accounts for around £200 of this price, making the rest of this 3" system, including downpipe, comparable in price to the 2.5" cat-back (no downpipe) system from Jetex. Installing the Speedparts JT system is what the rest of this article is about.

Finally, the verdict...

While the JT system is louder than the standard exhaust system, is is not obtrusively so, at least to my own ear. In comparison to "boy-racer" cars with loud stainless steel exhausts, my car simply sounds "powerful, but understated". As far as performance is concerned, turbo lag (more of a problem on the manual Aero, with its larger turbo) is much reduced, making the car more responsive. Top-end power, subjectively, was also increased, but I didn't put the car on a dynamometer, so I can't quantify the improvement. Maptun estimate an extra 10hp. Fuel economy is at least as good, and possibly slightly better. It is difficult to tell as I now drive the car a bit harder to make use of the new-found responsiveness.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I've just done what I think you are proposing to do - fit the 3" JT system from the Cat back. As you say, it's cheaper than a Saab exhaust and roughly comparable to a quality OEM one in price, so why not?

In terms of performance, I don't think you can notice much change, since really the best bit to replace is the downpipe and cat. However, like you, it was the centre/back sections which rotted, so those got done.

At least I know I can fit a JT downpipe and a sports cat at a later point.

In terms of noise, it gives a really nice understated burble at idle, and is very slightly noisier in the car, but not much.

I must say though, reading Bill's description again, it mentions a SS tailpipe, but mine is just plain mild steel! The picture on Elkparts kinda looks like it may have a stainless trim too. Hmm.

Overall though, I figure what have you got lose? By the way, I fitted it myself - not too bad a job at all.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I fitted the JT cta back from Elk back in January. No problems fitting (although it is slightly too long and I still have to trim a bit out of the cat adaptor). Mine does appear to have a stainless section coming out of the rear box. Noise wise, there is a burble at start/idle but once moving it is only slightly noisier inside (sort of very background growl on the motorway) and you don't hear anything more with the windows open.
I found that you do need to adjust the base boost following fitting as the performance initially dropped (2.0 LPT 204S). Following adjustment (0.4 bar base boost on that model) it felt livelier.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I thought I was going to have to trim some off the adaptor as Alan suggested, but I called Elk and they said it shouldn't be needed. So I pulled all the bits off again, and marked with a pen how far the inner bits should go inside the outer bits at each joint. I found for all the joints they went together pretty much all the way without force, except for the adaptor into the first pipe. Using blocks of wood and a soft mallet, I gave that some good walloping, and managed to reduce the length by about 3cm, which was enough to fit the system.

Interesting about the SS... perhaps I should call Elk about that!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Okay, I spoke to Julian. He says the tailpipes are stainless steel, but just not polished. To me, it looks the same as the rest of it, but I'll take his word for it

Maybe if I am feeling really sad, I'll try polishing it up a bit

·
Registered
53 Posts
My exhaust rear section rotted out and I had just intended to replace that and upgrade ECU later... but got tempted by a Maptun Stg 3, which needs the full JT exhaust with sport cat so that's what I ended up with =

Noise is very restrained, as others have said, and there is a nice burble on tickover. At the moment the rear is knocking slightly on the bodywork when I go round right hand bends so a bit of realignment will be necessary. Overall the quality is very good although the hanging brackets appear to be just mild steel and go rust coloured very quickly.

I've been out and checked the tailpipe - looks just like the rest of the exhaust, but tested with a magnet - it's not magnetic, so definitely not mild steel, and should polish up nicely

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.