Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of replacing the exhaust on the 900 as I think it is a bit restrictive bearing in mind the spec of the rest of the car. Currently running a JT downpipe, which will stay put, with a standard Saab system with one silencer removed.

The JT works great on my 9000 & I think I will probably go for the same on the 900.

Are there any alternatives to JT at a reasonable price? I have noticed the stainless Ferrita system on Elkparts at a very good price, but wonder if it is more restrictive?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I started out with the full 3'' JT system, with one silencer on the 900. It's a great system with excellent performance. But I found it way too loud.

I then replaced it temporarily with a standard turbo oem system, which proved to be much quieter but very restrictive. It had a noticable effect on boost spoolup. Where the JT would allow the car to boost well into red, the standard system would only allow boost up to the yellow/red line. (only change was the exhaust)

I missed the performance of the JT but not the sound.

I've since fitted the full stainless steel Abbott system. What a difference. A lovely sound... not too loud AND great spool-up. For just over 500 pounds it presents the best of all worlds for me. VERY happy with it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting.

As long as it isn't bonkers loud, I don't mind as it is not my main car.

The Ferrita system is half the price of the Abbott one, so I am not sure if £500 is a great deal. It's also smaller diameter than the JT, is it not?

There are two JT exhausts listed, one with a single silencer, one with two. I am assuming that the single silencer job is a better performer, but noisier? Is it the single one that you had, Mark?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
our T16 has the full abbott system but with the twin exhausts...its the best one I have heard(and seen )
however it does have that restrictive elbow

when funds allow we will probably invest in a 3" downpipe and move the battery to the boot
Our local man can whip one up in no time...

spool up is pretty good at the moment

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I am going to opt for the JT as it would appear to be the least restrictive. Alex, who is based near Bristol, has the JT single box system and does not find it overly noisy, so we will see!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Originally posted by JezmondTutu:
[qb]I think I am going to opt for the JT as it would appear to be the least restrictive. Alex, who is based near Bristol, has the JT single box system and does not find it overly noisy, so we will see!! [/qb][/b]
Best i clear the garage out again then - i feel i will be getting acquainted with the underside of the 900 once more

Pete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts