Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some here may know, My 2.3 9000 Carly exhaust is expiring.

The front pipe flexi, and now the pipe coming out of the mid pipe box are now blowing, and the MOT is due on the 23rd. I'm also running without the cat with elk's cat bypass pipe

I now have some options:-

<ul type="square">
[*]Genuine saab
aftermarket (walker/timax)
Speedparts/elks/jt whatever
Abbott (too pricey)
Other?
[/list]

Does anyone have any expirience of one or more of these.
What are the benefits and disadvantages?

Remember, I don't want it to cost too much, I want this one to be quick, but its the Aero that I'll be turning into a monster.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I have the JT superflow system 3'' including downpipe on my 9000. Very good value for money. A well made exhaust that uses directional joins, free flowing perforated silencers and a better shape to open up more performance.

The exhaust is quiet and doesn't sound too loud in the car and appears to be very well made. It's not stainless steel and therefore is far cheaper than the Abbott SS exhaust. On the other hand, it won't last as long as the Abbott SS exhaust.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The 3" JT system on my Aero has made a tremendous difference to spool up and it has a nice growl to it...Downsides naff tail pipe and I still have a knock that I'm tracking down, I have been told (I don't know if it's true) that Abbotts exhausts are made near Lancaster and they can be bought for around £400, I had a look at an Abbott system a couple of days ago and it looked superb.
want one

The car it was on was a white 9000 Aero 1995 60k miles excellent condition, Abbott ecu/exhaust/downpipe/springs/konis/ITG filter/uprated brakes, have a guess how much the guy paid for it

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by mpen:
[qb]The 3" JT system on my Aero has made a tremendous difference to spool up and it has a nice growl to it...Downsides naff tail pipe and I still have a knock that I'm tracking down, I have been told  (I don't know if it's true) that Abbotts exhausts are made near Lancaster and they can be bought for around £400, I had a look at an Abbott system a couple of days ago and it looked superb.

want one
[/qb][/b]
Surely you could buy a JT system and add an Abbott back box if you wanted to? Or am I oversimplifying things a little?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque-Steer):
[qb]Surely you could buy a JT system and add an Abbott back box if you wanted to? Or am I oversimplifying things a little?      [/qb][/b]
Unfortunately not

I'm not sure but I think Abbott are just about the only aftermarket exhaust seller that are fully compatible with your original system in all sections. Or in other words, if you have a standard exhaust system, you can buy any bit of the Abbott system and it will drop straight in without any cutting. Other manufacturers tend to supply systems that need to be fitted as a complete system.

Having said that though, I have fitted a 3" JT downpipe on to my system in place of the Abbott downpipe. It did, however, require the attention of an angle grinder to shorten it and a (slightly leaky) adpator to marry it to the rest of the system (not to mention a lot of swearing!!)

If you wanted a really nice sounding, smart looking system then buy an Abbott back box and bolt it on to "standard" bits in the rest of the system, with a bypass pipe. That's what I had on my last 9000 and it sounded really good (I still have the same back box on my current 9000, which looks good as new some 4 years/75000 miles later).

The other possible alternative is a Jetex- I haven't checked for a 9000, but for a 900 they do a complete aluminised system with SS finisher pipes, that looks quite nice.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I can't comment on the specific exhaust but....

Stainless steel tends to be more 'boomey' than mild steel, but of course SS will last a lot longer, or at least it should, which brings me on to the next point.

Build quality.
No matter what a part is made of, if it's made badly it will not last. If possible you want to look at the various joins etc on the systems, do they have bracing etc or just the welds holding the pipes onto the silencers.

Sorry, just my thoughts having had to put up with a few [expletive deleted] systems (non Saab).

Skiddins

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark_A:
[qb]The JT tail pipe for the CD is quite nice actually.. wonder why it's naf for the aero! [/qb][/b]
It's exactly the same style of tailpipe, but it seems to look a lot better on your CD. I think it's because the tailpipe exits at an angle so more of the stainless trim is visible from the rear and less of the inside of the pipe.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Someone's telling porkies here then.....

If the Abbott stuff is made in Leicester, how come Abbott quote on their website....

"For visiting customers we can make a silencer while you wait, with a tail pipe of your choice."

Having looked at the Abbott system on Gordy's Aero while up on the ramp at Kodak's on Saturday, I have to say it's very impressive in terms of quality, and it wasn't as loud as I was expecting. As to whether it's worth the extra expense, that's a matter of personal choice really and possibly how long you intend to keep your car.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
From what I've seen, Abbott do have the necessary tooling to make the exhaust systems in terms of bending mandrels etc for the tubing but they probably don't have on site facilites to manufacture the silencers and the rolled end tailpipes, which I suspect are made by a third party, and subsequently assembled by Abbott.

[edit] PS Their exhaust "store" is literally a small barn BTW...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.