Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My exhaust wrap has arrived today along with the heat treatment spray to be applied once it's on. I know the wrap has to be put on with an equal overlap and so on to help the heat dissipate but has anyone already done this and any useful tips

I plan to just wrap the downpipe.

thanks
Zahid

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interestingly enough, i am about to do the very same thing tomorrow! As far as I’m aware you can wrap both your exhaust manifold and your down pipe.
I’m going to be installing a Turbo insulation kit from DEI which includes wrap for the down pipe and a jacket for the turbo.

According to the documentation that came with the kit the reasoning behind all this is to:

1. "Reduce under bonnet temps"

2. "Keep the turbo spooled and reduce turbo lag" apparently!

I have also got a pipe insulation jacket around the I/C to throttle body pipe installed already, so this is just to take the under bonnet temps down a bit more (I hope)!

Like ZARS, if anyone has got anything to add to this experience wise, i would be very grateful to hear it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i too plan to wrap my downpipe, but i purchased COOL IT's Thermo Tec Exhaust Insulating Wrap (but i would not personally use such a product on headers or the exhaust manifold, nor would i wrap my turbo. my reasoning is the fact that these parts can get so hot they will actually glow. if some of the heat within the pipe was not escaping through it, i can only imagine how much hotter the exhaust would be.

turbo cooling has been addressed in Saab engines through the use of engine oil and water, but dont forget that a huge amount of heat is also disippated through the metal to the air. a turbo that is wrapped can only be that much hotter inside and will take that much longer to cool off.

on the other hand, i see absolutely no issue with wrapping the downpipe, as by the time the exhaust has reached this point, it has generally cooled enough that it will no longer cause the pipes to glow.

also, wrapping the intake pipes is certainly a good idea, as a cooler air charge will produce more power and less risk of engine damage due to knock/detonation. i have wrapped the turbo to intercooler piping in an aluminum-backed cloth insulation. i had noticed how hot this pipe gets due to its location directly behind the radiator (too hot to touch at times) and since wrapping the pipe, and sticking my finger in between the layers of wrap to touch the metal after some 'spirited' driving midday. the intake pipe was not uncomfortably hot, though the air being moved by the cooling fans certainly was.

P.S. most header wrap packing will include a disclaimer stating something along the lines of 'use of this header wrap will void all header warranties'. i cannot recommend use on the exhaust manifold nor any type of turbo wrap.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saabben, let us know how you get on
I'll hopefully do mine next weekend.

xassh, I've bought the Thermo-Tech stuff also

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
The reason for wrapping is to maintain gas pressure before the turbo
the 9000 ex manifold is so short I can see no reason for this apart from reducing underbonnet temps...
however if you have a tubular manifold it is recommended

I will be wrapping mine

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wrapped a cast exhaust and turbo on a RV8 and it caused the turbo to rust & flake quite alarmingly so next time around I would use less wrap ie less overlap or just use an air gap around the turbo.

Boosted.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was actualy thinking of doing the same thing as xassh, to wrap the inlet pipes to maintain the cool air going right into the engine. This should remove allot of lag since the cool air will fire up the engine allot faster with more power. (similar to driving your car on a stinking hot day compared with a cold winter day, the turbo and power is more readily avail. with colder temps)

I was thinking of the exhaust wraps as well but the total concept works in reverse of common sense..... the wraps would just keep the heat in the turbo, prommoting turbo failure!!!!

Intake wraps to prommote cooler inlet temps!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts