Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9000 CDE non turbo auto, 1992 model year ( actually 1991 )

Last exhaust replacement was with genuine Saab ( Unipart ). That was seven years ago and now it's starting to go: ( doesn't anything last these days? )
Problem is:- I have looked at a couple of online suppliers and Eurocarparts and GSF. Either the pictures don't look like mine; or in the case of the latter two, no pictures.
I have looked at the Saab parts CD and the one in there for my model year doesn't look like mine either. It is the centre box ( the one before the rear box )that is wrong. Mine is flat bottomed with corrugations and goes across the car. It looks like the type shown for a 1994 model year on the Saab CD.
I will check the cost from Saab:but if I order one from any of these others I expect I may get the wrong one.

Any ( useful )comments appreciated.
Thanks
Harvey

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Hi Harvey,
I wouldn't pay too much attention to some of the aftermarket catalogues, the pictures can be generic -think how many diferent variations they would have to draw- I needed a system for my T16s and the cheapest place was again my local SAAB dealer -with SOC discount- I'm starting to sound like a broken record in praise of them. For one thing, you give them your chassis/VIN number and you know the system will fit. If it doesn't you go and berate them, it's their fault.
The exhaust manufacturers - the bigger ones - make three kinds of exhausts. Original Equipment -OE- which are the best and last longest, Dealer fit, which are the replacement ones the dealers fit, and don't last as long as OE, but do last longer than the third type which are the 'rubbish' 'Quack fat' and other multiples fit - on the assumption that it will last just longer than the guarantee period or you will have sold your car before it goes.
Check out your local dealer. My OE exhaust lasted 120000 miles and 11 years, the after market dealer fit is still looking good after 6. You pays your money................

·
Registered
461 Posts
Centre boxes: The big one with the flat bottom that has ripples on it is a 'resonator' that is fitted as standard and uses it's shape to cancel exhaust sound-waves out against each other before they get to the rear silencer, so that Saab can change the tone of the exhaust note as well as the volume. The smaller silencer pictured will be a conventional one in place of the resonator.

I found out only this week what the practical difference is, when I changed my rotten (probably 8 years old) resonator to a cheap silencer type (that I already had from a doner car). The difference in exhaust sound is marked - the note is now louder and very noticably has a rhythmic 'beat' that was not there before.

I'm actually thrilled to bits with it (sorry), but if it's refinement and relaxation you're after, I would stick firmly with the resonator, and confirm exactly what you are getting before paying.

Carl

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm actually thrilled to bits with it (sorry), but if it's refinement and relaxation you're after, I would stick firmly with the resonator,  [/b]
I'm 60 and mines an Auto. ... what do *you* think?

I don't mind a louder exhaust note but I don't want to hear it inside the car. I have recently used a Tesh silencer on my campervan: cheap and nasty construction ( allegedly )and a Bosal cat. on wifes Peugeot ( not quite so c & n ) but not much like the original, but half the price. I think I'll be going the Saab / Unipart route and thanks for the input both of you chaps ......

I still don't understand why the Saab Parts CD shows the wrong system for my car though .......

Harvey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.