Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all

I think my back box has blown a hole in it and was wondering how much of a task it is to change it myself. I assume the parts are standard, but I was debating whether to put a different box on as against a SAAB one i.e maybe an Abbotts one - I used to have another CSE 2.0 LPT that had a really nice sounding exhaust and I would quite like that sound back! I don't really want to go through the expense of replacing the whole system though...

any advice? What cost (ish) do you reckon?

Cheers

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I reccently replaced the back box on a 2.0LPT. As far as I remember, the studs for the flange are on the backbox, so if you need to cut them, it doesn't matter (I used a nut splitter). I bought a genuine Saab back box from the dealer at around £80 (Kwik-Fit quoted about £135!). Nuts were extra. It wasn't too hard to do, really.

The reason I changed it was because I'd just bought the car and it had a cheap-and-nasty-looking tailpipe that was a bit rusty. What took me completely by surprise was the performance improvement when I fitted the genuine back box. This was an auto and I had resigned myself to it not being a road-burner, but an overtaking manoeuvre (that I had left plenty of room for) on the test drive after fitting the new box was effortless. It just goes to show that not all exhaust parts are created equal.

And the genuine back box (with black tailpipe) looks great too (to me).

[edit] I have seen cheap ones from as little as about £43 + VAT from Euro Car Parts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Bill

What do you reckon to Euro Car Parts - is the quality any good?

If I didn't want to go down the SAAB genuine route would you have any alternatives for me to look into?

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.